Marvin Infinity vs Simonton Prism

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
weedhopr

Marvin Infinity vs Simonton Prism

#1 Post by weedhopr »

I'm planning to replace the windows in my house soon. 14 double hung, 2 small picture, 1 large, 3 section glider. We had several contractors come and give bids on the project, and have pretty much narrowed it down to Marvin Infinity, or Simonton Prism, Platinum, with 1" double glazed low E, Argon filled with super spacer. Both have lifetime warranty.
I've found a lot of positive information on Simonton windows on this forum, but haven't found a lot on Infinity. Both reps say theirs is the best. Infinity has a U value of .29, Simonton is .30
We like the wide view the Infinity gives with its fiberglass frame. Does anyone know of pros and cons of the 2 windows? The quoted prices are $8,695 for Simonton, $10,129 for Infinity.
Which window do you think will give the best overall performance and longevity?
Which do you think would provide the best value for our money?
I'm in Southern Minnesota. Need good windows that will keep out the -30 degree, blizzard 40 mph winds, and the summer 90 degree heat.
thanks much for any advice you can give.
Mike
We also got quotes from Uniframe. How are they. They're about $3000 - $5000 more, depending on the glass options.

buddy110

Re: Marvin Infinity vs Simonton Prism

#2 Post by buddy110 »

Forget the uniframe. They're a good window but no way worth 3-5,000 more.

Both the Simonton and Infinity will perform well. I love Infinity for it's engineering and beauty. IMHO they will outlast any vinyl window due to the inherent properties of fiberglass. It simply doesn't move (expand or contract) like vinyl. Therefore the performance numbers will remain constant throughout it's life. I think they both use Cardinal glass, which is the best in the industry. You won't be unhappy with either

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

buddy110 wrote: IMHO they will outlast any vinyl window due to the inherent properties of fiberglass. It simply doesn't move (expand or contract) like vinyl. Therefore the performance numbers will remain constant throughout it's life.
For the sake of civil discussion, if what you said is true (I don't agree), how many years would it take for a Softlite Elements with a .01 air rate to degrade to a .27 like the Infinity has when it is new?

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

Window4U (IL) wrote:
buddy110 wrote: IMHO they will outlast any vinyl window due to the inherent properties of fiberglass. It simply doesn't move (expand or contract) like vinyl. Therefore the performance numbers will remain constant throughout it's life.
For the sake of civil discussion, if what you said is true (I don't agree), how many years would it take for a Softlite Elements with a .01 air rate to degrade to a .27 like the Infinity has when it is new?

I'd be happy just seeing some unbiased source that has done testing on quality vinyl windows and has come to the same conclusion Buddy has.

Buddy, can you tell us where we can find the source of your claim?

weedhopr

#5 Post by weedhopr »

Where can I find the air rates for the Infinity windows? I found them for the Simonton, but can't find anything for the Infinity.
thanks,
Mike

For the sake of civil discussion, if what you said is true (I don't agree), how many years would it take for a Softlite Elements with a .01 air rate to degrade to a .27 like the Infinity has when it is new?[/quote]

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

See attached.
Attachments
Snapshot 2010-05-01 20-22-14.jpg
(90.96 KiB) Downloaded 465 times

buddy110

#7 Post by buddy110 »

Skydawggy wrote:
Window4U (IL) wrote:

I'd be happy just seeing some unbiased source that has done testing on quality vinyl windows and has come to the same conclusion Buddy has.

Buddy, can you tell us where we can find the source of your claim?
I have no data other than personal experience with owning both, which is why I stated it's an opinion. I've stated this before. My 10 yo vinyl windows leak air like nobody's business. My FG windows don't

But for the sake of discussion; with vinyl expanding and contracting all the time it would be impossible for it to maintain it's ratings throughout the vast variances of temperatures found in the NE. FG doesn't move thereby maintaining it's ratings and because of this I believe they will last longer, but like I said it's my opinion. I have been looking for data which can show that AI ratings within the ES/Amma requirements make any appreciable difference in energy efficiency or energy bills. IMO they don't and I haven't found any data to the contrary.

Do you guys have any? If so please share it. I'm a student of this business willing to learn

randy

#8 Post by randy »

I love Infinity for it's engineering and beauty. IMHO they will outlast any vinyl window due to the inherent properties of fiberglass. It simply doesn't move (expand or contract) like vinyl. Therefore the performance numbers will remain constant throughout it's life.
So the Infinity will maintain it's poor performance numbers throughout it's life. And this is a good thing? :lol: :lol:
Last edited by randy on Sat May 01, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

Since Marvin Windows aren't AAMA Certified, were they structurally tested by another organization such as WDMA? Or does Marvin do their own testing?

buddy110

#10 Post by buddy110 »

Skydawggy wrote:Since Marvin Windows aren't AAMA Certified, were they structurally tested by another organization such as WDMA? Or does Marvin do their own testing?
AAMA/WMDA tested them

WindowInfo

#11 Post by WindowInfo »

Yesterday I met a guy at a home show that had Marvin Infinity installed 2 years ago and had to put plastic on them this winter. He said the air was just blowing in. I told him to contact the contractor that put them in. For the amount he spent he should not have to put plastic on them....

buddy110

#12 Post by buddy110 »

WindowInfo wrote:Yesterday I met a guy at a home show that had Marvin Infinity installed 2 years ago and had to put plastic on them this winter. He said the air was just blowing in. I told him to contact the contractor that put them in. For the amount he spent he should not have to put plastic on them....

Bad install.

randy

#13 Post by randy »

buddy110 wrote:
WindowInfo wrote:Yesterday I met a guy at a home show that had Marvin Infinity installed 2 years ago and had to put plastic on them this winter. He said the air was just blowing in. I told him to contact the contractor that put them in. For the amount he spent he should not have to put plastic on them....

Bad install.

Nothing to see here folks, just move along. Repeat after me: Air Infiltration numbers are meaningless. :roll:

Skydawggy

#14 Post by Skydawggy »

buddy110 wrote:
Skydawggy wrote:Since Marvin Windows aren't AAMA Certified, were they structurally tested by another organization such as WDMA? Or does Marvin do their own testing?
AAMA/WMDA tested them

There's no listing for them by AAMA. I did find Marvin listed with WDMA.

buddy110

#15 Post by buddy110 »

Skydawggy wrote:
buddy110 wrote:
AAMA/WMDA tested them

There's no listing for them by AAMA. I did find Marvin listed with WDMA.

I just know the test was conducted by WMDA/AAMA