Wincore vs. Gorell?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Buddy44

Wincore vs. Gorell?

#1 Post by Buddy44 »

Hi, I was trying to find some reviews for Wincore and Gorell replacement windows, and I stumbled onto this forum. I am looking to replace 14 windows. The building supply company that I plan on going to for the windows has suggested I use Wincore or Gorell. I have been able to do some internet searching and it looks like Gorell is a respected company. But I havent had any luck finding info/reviews on Wincore. Has anyone used Wincore?

My quote for the windows was 2k higher for the Gorell compared to the Wincore, but I am afraid of paying less and regretting it down the road. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

buddy110

Re: Wincore vs. Gorell?

#2 Post by buddy110 »

Don't know much abour Wincore but you can't go wrong with Gorell.
Are you looking at the 5100 or 5300?

Integra

#3 Post by Integra »

Wincore makes an exceptional window. It's based on Veka extrusions and it is very strong, and very well engineered. They're a rather new company founded by a bunch of people who left Simonton after Fortune Brands purchased them. They have the know-how and experience to make an excellent window. Sales and marketing aids are a bit behind the curve understandably, but the quality is there. They have a pathetic sales force and I don't expect that to improve in the near future.

I'd recommend the 7700 series. It's a nice window that will get the job done.

Buddy44

#4 Post by Buddy44 »

Thanks for the information. My original quote I got was for the Gorell 5300 series and the Wincore 5400. I am waiting to get my quote back for the Gorell 5100 series.

Integra, it sounds like you are familiar with the Wincore brand. Do you have any idea how a Gorell 5100 series would compare to the Wincore 5400 series? If you were choosing between those two, which would you go with?

Thanks!

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

I think the issue with Wincore as a manufacturer is that they really don't stand out in any area. It's just pretty much an average kind of window with avarage numbers. No AAMA or WDMA Certification and average U-factors. Nothing really great but nothing really bad. Their only claim that distinguishes them is they are former Simonton employees who were let go when Fortune Brands bought Simonton and now their dealers try to smear Simonton by claiming Simonton has some non-specific quality problems. That's not a very good way to market in this industry and my guess is unless they do something to stand out, they will wither away and be forgotten in a few years. Just another window company that folded.

Integra

#6 Post by Integra »

That's interesting. Their window is about as close to a Simonton as you can get and their performance numbers are virtually identical. I agree with you about their sales pitch. That comes from Dave Jagdman who really needs to turn the National Sales Manager duties over to someone else. He's done a great job of hiring the most pathetic sales force ever to grace the window industry.

My personal experience with them was that they had an outstanding inside customer service team - who came there from Simonton. The very best is a lady named Krista, and she's a real pro. They're very knowledgeable. The one area where they outshine EVERY other window company in the industry is with their bays and bows. They make - without question - the finest bays and bows I've ever seen. Their fit and finish is like furniture. Those things are built incredibly strong too. They also use paralams instead of vinyl V-mulls to put the windows together and that makes for a rock-solid unit.

I have no issues with their windows or their service, but they are decidedly weak in the sales and marketing end. But, all things considered - I could live with that over a company that had all the sizzle and no steak.