North of Boston Area - Window Replacements

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
alohalei26

North of Boston Area - Window Replacements

#1 Post by alohalei26 »

I am replacing 9 wood windows with vinyl replacements, top grids only.

Got quotes from Newpro -- $15,000
Castle -- $5500
Alside Excalibur --$5100

Castle I find is really a Soft-Lite window of which I have some that were installed 5 years ago at half the cost so I think their quote is a bit high.

I'm looking for a mid-range priced window that meets the Tax CR requirements, made well and is backed by a good guarantee. Any comments about the above windows and/or any suggestions.

Also, one company said they install the replacement windows from the outside rather than from the inside. What are the benefits of having it done this way other than perhaps preserving an existing alarm system.

Thanks.

pondscum

Re: North of Boston Area - Window Replacements

#2 Post by pondscum »

Here's a thread from a year ago that gives the run-down on the different brands available here in Boston:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3087

Like Copykatpro who posted that, I ended up with the Sunrise Restorations, and am pretty happy with them now. But this is more of a high-end window and might be out of your price range? If you're on more of a budget, you might also look at Harvey.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ouch...$1,650 for a vinyl insert windows with grids. :shock:

Do yourself a favor and continue to research. I am not sure what is worse, and Excalibur at $565 or a Soft-Lite at $1,650.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Don't see how an os in install will change what happens with the alarm. In most cases it makes the interior of the install much cleaner, no interior trim removed.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

anthony wrote:Don't see how an os in install will change what happens with the alarm. In most cases it makes the interior of the install much cleaner, no interior trim removed.
At $1,650...they should post a guard as part of the new alarm. :lol:

alohalei26

#6 Post by alohalei26 »

Thanks for the responses; the post "view topic" is very helpful & gives me more to research. I don't mind spending $450-$500 per window but I don't expect to be in this house more than 5-10 years max and it's an old house so it doesn't need $1100+ replacement windows.

Newpro --Don't like the way they operate. They shock you with a high price, then lower it to still a shocking price (from $15,000 to $9,900). Now the GM wants to come out and reevaluate the price because we're in a high traffic area. There's no way he's dropping the price to $5500 I'm sure it won't be the same window that he quoted for $15,000 or for $9900. He's nuts if he thinks we'll buy a window unseen!! I've been in sales for 20+ years and don't like games! I too equate the experience like buying a car. It's a shame companies don't see that it's better to be honest, up front and give your best price out of the shoot; they'd be more successful! Newpro rep also gave a canned presentation which put us to sleep!

Castle - rep was nice, but not as knowledgeable as I prefer, but at least he didn't try to BS us and called for the answers he didn't know. Was going to go with them, but after 3 hrs of digging it angered me that they weren't upfront that Soft-Lite makes their windows. Couldn't find their NFRC rating on the database; and found that out by checking their window #'s against the NFRC database that it's a Soft-Lite window.

And the search goes on!

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

You could be in the house for a lifetime and there are plenty of windows in the 450-650 range that will match the performance of the windows that you were quoted from NewPro.

You need to spread out your search a bit.