Big Bow window replacement...need advice

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Yuendawg

Big Bow window replacement...need advice

#1 Post by Yuendawg »

I want to replace our large bow/bay window that is about 134 x 74 inches large. I have narrow the field down to 3 vendors (installing casement windows) and not sure which to choose. I wanted to get some opinions.

Option 1: Home depot --> Simonton 6500 @$6800

Option 2: Local company --> Alside sheffield @$5800

Option 3: Lowes --> Atrium 700 series @ $4500

Thanks in advance.

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Big Bow window replacement...need advice

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Simonton is the best of that grouping. I would get estimates on a few more windows before deciding. Some of the brands recommended here are made but Sunrise, Okna, Softlite and Gorell. If you do decide to go with the Simonton I would get a quote from a local Simonton dealer before deciding. I am a Simonton dealer but I think they have one of the ugliest casement windows on the market.

Yuendawg

#3 Post by Yuendawg »

Thanks.

He tough time finding a local dealer and installer on the simonton site. Only listed distributors.

Any experience with the atrium brand? Big difference in price there but I don't want a window that will not last.

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I don't care much for Atrium. Just Google Simonton Windows and your town. That should give you a choice of a few dealers. You could also call the distributor and get a recommendation for a dealer.

Yuendawg

#5 Post by Yuendawg »

What do you think is a fair price for this job with a decent bow window?

EcoStar Remodeling

#6 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I haven't got the faintest idea as I don't know what's involved in the installation. Do not assume windows are a commodity sold by the pound or square foot, they are not. Differences in installation quality can greatly affect the installed price. I would get several estimates, learn as much as you can and make your decision based on which contractor is offering the best value.

ranger

#7 Post by ranger »

There are much better brands. Pricing seems within the norm unless there are some complex install issues none of the salesman saw and therefore priced too low.
Bay/ bow windows are inherently expensive and the install requires expertise or else you will gave problems in the future. DO NOT base your decision on best price fr a bay, if you do, you will bebthrowing money away .
Atrium is lower end and definitely not a window that is designed to last . Alside is not held in high regard either. As for simonton, there are better brands as ecostar mentioned. When we say much better, we mean much better design, better thermal performance numbers, and better structural numbers. Okna, Sunrise, Gorell,Soft Lite,and Polaris Ultra Series are all brands highly recommended with the aforementioned qualities.

Yuendawg

#8 Post by Yuendawg »

Thanks fr the help. Met with an okna rep and got a good price on the bow window.

Option 4: okna precision weld @ $4100

Now waiting for the gorell rep to quote me.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Yuendawg wrote:Thanks fr the help. Met with an okna rep and got a good price on the bow window.

Option 4: okna precision weld @ $4100

Now waiting for the gorell rep to quote me.
Wow!... I normally don't recommend taking the lowest price, but in this case, it is easily the best product. Gorell makes an excellent bay as well, so you'll have two great choices there. Disregard that first group, with the possible exception of the Simonton.

windowwise

#10 Post by windowwise »

Make sure the head and seat are both insulated. It will not matter what window you buy if the seat and head are just wood. Should have 2.5 to 3 inches of foam built in.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The foam can be field applied. I prefer this so that I do not have to figure out a sill cut back.

Yuendawg

#12 Post by Yuendawg »

For this bow window, I am trying to decide if I want casement or double hung. Any feedback? The window will be tall from ceiling to floor....74 inches. With a window this big, not sure about the look of it. This bow window in the key feature in front of our house. Planning to do a large picture window and two liter (casement or double on the side). Any drawback or feedback to help me with my decision? These will be okna enviro star windows.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You need to discuss this with your dealer/installer for size and cost issues. You will need some tempered glass. The layout of the bay will effect the size of the flankers, the max size I show for casements is 96 UI so the flankers in casements would be 24".
Based on that I know a DH will give you more flexiblity in layout and a larger seat board.

Yuendawg

#14 Post by Yuendawg »

If all is equal, do casement or dh function better?

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What do you mean by function?
How they operate? DH in this case.
Do you mean thermal performance? Casements
Do you mean easy of cleaning?
Again these are all question to ask your dealer installer.