Simonton vs. PGT vs. Alside

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
wpwise

Simonton vs. PGT vs. Alside

#1 Post by wpwise »

I live near Orlando, Florida and need to replace all of the windows in my home -- about 17 openings. I have 5 double windows, 1 triple window, several wide single windows, and two "regular" width windows. Most of the windows will have sliders with just a couple of double hungs.

I've gotten prices for Simonton windows (FAS); PGT windows (Superior Aluminum); and Alside windows (Windows Plus). Simonton and PGT came in with the lowest prices.

I'm looking for opinions about/experience with any or all of these windows/companies. The Simonton window seems to have the best warranty; PGT the best price. The Alside window did not have a full screen, which doesn't really work for me.

Thanks.

mattlock

Re: Simonton vs. PGT vs. Alside

#2 Post by mattlock »

It depends on which Alside model you are looking at. Their Sheffield model is by far the best vinyl double hung that I have ever worked with. I have installed literally thousands of vinyl windows. Most of them were the Excalibur from Alside but also a lot of X-act windows. I worked as a sub contractor for Window World for many years. They sell the Excalibur as their $189.00 installed window, not bad, but a far cry from the Sheffield. Take a look at Alsides website and click on the product info link for each model. You will see the difference right away. The Sheffield has a much stronger frame and it also has a much better weather stripping system. It can be ordered with a full screen for an additional cost. I would also encourage the foam wrap on the perimeter and of course go for Low-E and Argon.

I have since moved on from WW and now work just for myself and I only sell the Sheffield windows to my customers. I am not going to give away too much info on price, but the wholesale cost between the Excalibur and the Sheffield is only about 10% and in my professional opinion, the Sheffield is twice the window that the Excalibur is. Your salesperson should be able to make a 20% profit on the windows and still sell them to you for less than $300 per window, with all the bells and whistles. Of course wrapping would be extra, but is it not always necessary or desired on certain homes if their is elaborate trim or other considerations. You shouldn't have to pay any more than $100 to have a double hung window wrapped. The same could be said for the equivalent two light sliders.

I have had nothing but exceptional luck with my regional Alside dealer, they are very attentive to the needs that I demand and they always stand behind their products. I am a no BS sort of person, and I really appreciate all that they have done for me as partners.

TLHWINDOWS

#3 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

I'd put a PGT (any series) and Simonton up against any Alside window.

My personal opinion.

The Spectra Guard has a .05 AI rating and for Simonton I would look at the Platinum or 5500 series. Both can come with glass breakage warranties from the factory.

SDC Carpentry

#4 Post by SDC Carpentry »

I sell and install both Simonton And Viwinco .I 've installed Alside in the past , I 'd stick with the Simonton .