replacement window manufacturer

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
new to windows

replacement window manufacturer

#1 Post by new to windows »

I am in the process of doing my homework for new vinyl replacement windows. Of course I want to utilize the tax credit by purchasing energy start qualified windows. I have some quotes already and others on the way. Please share any thoughts, feedback, information, etc. on the manufacturers I am looking at. These are all for 26 windows (double hung and geometric) in southwest ohio.

Preservation Windows - $10,900 for double pane, $14, 750 for triple pane
Pella (Vinyl, but not Thermastar) - $17,500 or double pane
Simonton 5500 - $13,650 for double pane (two-tone color on vinyl)
Vinylmax Hyde Park - $12,500 for double pane (two-tone color on vinyl)
Vinylmax Easton - $11,750 for double pane (two-tone)
Vinylmax Easton - $9,900 for double pane (one solid color)
still awaiting a quote on soft-lite windows (elements and imperial lines)

any thoughts are appreciated! thanks in advance!

TheWindowNerd

Re: replacement window manufacturer

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

IMO
Do Simonton 5500 or Soft-lite LS

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

+1 That would be my choice also.

buddy110

#4 Post by buddy110 »

Given those choices I agree with the first two responses

new to windows

#5 Post by new to windows »

Thanks for the input. any other recommended manufacturers that are not listed? I am looking for a good vinyl window that won't break the bank. I plan on staying in this house for 20+ years and don't want to replace windows again.

Thanks

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Softlite Imperial LS/Elements is an excellent product if it's within your budget... It would defintitely be my top choice.

JScott

#7 Post by JScott »

20+ years...Infinity from Marvin.

Vinyl over time tends to expand and contract and Consumer Reports has accessed windows to indicate vinyl as it ages leaks more and more air while fiberglass is unaffected.

In a book on Windows and Doors available at the Home Depot...in 2004 40 million windows were made and over 1/2 of them were replacement windows used to replace windows less than 10 years old that the home owners were not happy with the performance. The two leaders indicated above will get you through 15 years.

:mrgreen:

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

Please take your anti-vinyl bias to http://www.fiberglass-replacement-windows.com. This site is for people interested in vinyl windows.

The old crap from the 1980's isn't applicable for a good quality 21st Century window and you know it! Keep it up and you will begin to be associated with a Renewal salesman.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Skydawggy wrote:Please take your anti-vinyl bias to http://www.fiberglass-replacement-windows.com. This site is for people interested in vinyl windows.

The old crap from the 1980's isn't applicable for a good quality 21st Century window and you know it! Keep it up and you will begin to be associated with a Renewal salesman.

+1
What a bunch of BS. To say premium vinyl windows will only last 15 years is a bold faced lie. I've got 1983 vinyl windows in my folks home performing like the day they were installed. That's 27 years and going strong, just like the vast majority of vinyl windows I've installed in my 35 years of installing windows.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would agree that good quality vinyl are long lasting and maintain performance.
I would also agree that cheap vinyl windows(the majority of whats in the market) will be a problem in 5 years.
So lets all try to be objective.

new to windows

#11 Post by new to windows »

The Soft-Lite Elements quote came in at $18,200. that is considerably higher than I thought - about $5,000 than the Simonton 5500. Are Soft-Lites that expensive or is the Elements line that expensive? Any thoughts on the Imperial line being much of a savings over the Elements line? I am very impressed with the Soft-Lite product, but it may not be in the budget now...
Any thoughts out there?

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Elements is the premium line, it has teritorial exclusivity, thus it cost more.
The Imperial LS, IMO, will be cheaper, it will be a different dealer, it is a fantastic window.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Get the LS quoted as well. It is effectively the same window minus some of the bells and whistles.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

It depends on the market you are in and the companies that carry those lines. Around here the Imperial LS is an exclusive as well. As WOW mentioned, it is essentially the same window, although technically the Elements is the "top" offering. You'll probably want to look for a different SL dealer in your area to find the LS , and hopefully better pricing with it

new to windows

#15 Post by new to windows »

Thanks for all the input. I have a company coming out on Friday to quote the LS line. By looking at the Soft-Lite website, the two different windows seem quite similar, I just hope they differ in price!