NE Ohio newbie help along with pricing

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
suz714

NE Ohio newbie help along with pricing

#1 Post by suz714 »

After lurking on different sites, collecting information, visiting showrooms and getting two quotes, I'm ready to ask a few questions from the experts!

A little bit of info..
I just moved into a 1980 3 story condo in NEOhio. The windows are double pane metal sliders and while they are "working"..I want to replace all or some of them to take advantage of the tax credit this year.
I want to replace all the sliders with casement windows. I haven't had any experience in vinyl..as my last house I used wood for a new addition. While I want to obviously get as much window as I can for the price, I also want to keep in mind long term durability, easy maintenance...I don't think I will be moving anytime in the near future.

Here's what I am looking to install along with the direction facing info: Windows are double rather than triple casements to take advantage of less vinyl in the way of the views. To be honest, I'm not liking the look of vinyl as opposed to the old metal/wood that I am used to...it seems to take up too much "window viewing" space. I settled on the SoftLite vs this AMI Preservation because I like the screens on the SoftLite better...although the sales rep said the AMI was a better window all around.

All these windows are very shaded & sizes approximate:
2 - 93x59 (one LR/LowerLevel BR) double casement - N
1 -6' LL sliding door unit - N
1 - 6' LR sliding door unit - W
1 - 46x35 kitchen double casement - N

These windows get afternoon unshaded sun:
2 - 71x48 BR double casement - S
1 - 34x35 MBath single casement- W

I have so far received pricing from SoftLite and Champion (my parents love these windows, so I went with a quote from them)

My quote from the SoftLite rep for installation with white inside/brown outside was $14K.
Does this seem reasonable? I know I have large windows, so perhaps this is the reason for this. This particular company is locally owned and been in business almost 40 years. The salesman has been a bit of a flake (forgets something on a quote; lost his paperwork; really wasn't prepared for our meeting at the business) which honestly turns me off abit. They use their own installers and buy direct from the factory which makes me feel more secure if anything should happen.

Champion quoted me $10,762 (which he wrote on the front of the brochure and hasn't returned my emails for a more detailed quote) for the following:
Same as above except for this change:
1 - 9' sliding door (add one more pane to existing 6'door along with moving 2 electrical outlets , construction to enlarge opening etc)

I definately need to continue looking and I plan to get a quote from a different SoftLite rep. Based on what type and direction of windows needed..is there another company I should get quotes from? I am close to both Alside/SoftLite factories, but Alside really gets a bad rap here, so want to stay away from them.
This is a lot of money for me right now and I want to make sure I am asking the right questions and getting the best window for me and this unit.. I do understand about the LowE argon gas/air infiltration/insulation/fusion welded/ etc.

This particular SoftLite window has K-beam thermal reinforcement with Kevlar/true slope sill; no weep holes in frame. I read somewhere that Kevlar is "over the top frill"..is there another SoftLite window that is less expensive and I would like the look of?

Should I get some sort of sunblock on the 2 upper BR windows? But, here in NEOhio we don't have consistently sunny days..would it be worth it? The sun coming in when we are fortunate enough to get it, is intense and I find myself closing curtains, putting on fans and generally sweating to death in these upstairs rooms. After living in the woods with very little sun, this is a new experience and actually love the sunshine..so hate closing stuff up.

I haven't brought either of these points (Kevlar/sunblock) up with either of the reps, because I just read it here someplace today.....

So I feel like I'm on the right track, yes? Anything you can guide me towards would be helpful.
Thanks so much for helping me

Clevelander966

Re: NE Ohio newbie help along with pricing

#2 Post by Clevelander966 »

I posted a response to try to help, but I must have violated some sort of unwritten forum rule. If I did, I apologize to the admins. I am a representative in Cleveland and run a website to help people to get information that can be helpful BEFORE a salesman visits them. Be that as it may, here is what I can tell you:

- The 95'' double casements cannot be manufactured to that size. 2 section casements can only be safely manufactured to 60 inches in length. So you would be forced to utilize a 3 section/fixed center/casement configuration.
- Soft-lite does not build windows in a "a la carte" fashion. The styles they manufacture are the Elements, Imperial (LS, Pro & Classic), Bainbridge & Barrington. Each style has a different combination of standard features and limitations. The "sunblock" I am assuming relates to the Low E glass. You need the windows to qualify for the tax rebate to have a U-Value(Keeps heat in house) of .30 or less and also a Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC)(Keeps heat out of house) of .30 or less. These coatings are critical to help the glass work in such a way that you can have the entire window qualify for the Tax Rebate, which you stated was important to you. The Low E also works in keeping your belongings from fading and discoloring by blocking the UV rays from the sun. It also lowers the glare from the sun, relaxing your eyes and making you more confortable in your own home. Take it out and the window will most likely not qualify for the tax rebate.

-As for the Kevlar, it is a very solid material. It is used in bullet-proof vests and helmets for the military, because of its strength, durability and lightweight. It is 5 times stronger than steel and 721 times better insulating than even aluminum. This makes it a great candidate for use in windows at the meeting rail. The only downside is cost. It IS more expensive than metal, aluminum or nothing, but simply put, it works. The biggest benefit is that is reinforces the weakest part of the window, not for security's sake, but for air infiltration. As wind pushes against the sash with better than average force, other components allow air to enter and create drafts. Kevlar decreases the amount of air allowed in with much stronger and more energy efficient means of reducing air infiltration. Not all companies even offer this because they cannot explain the benfits properly enough to justify its use. If there is no Kevlar at the meeting rails, then you have either metal, aluminum or nothing to give support at the meeting rails. None of them give you any energy benefits, as they all transfer heat and cold and could potentially sweat inside the house.

-The price seems pretty consistent with the size and quality levels of each company. Champoin manufactures their windows in Cincinnatti and sells them in 39 states with 1 available glass system. Soft-lite has greater breadth in options, styles and functionality. You aren't going to see much different with any of the other guys on TV, including my company as far as price goes. Better quality that does more, costs more.

Hope this helps.

suz714

#3 Post by suz714 »

Thanks C966..your post was very informative. Yes you are right about the 93x59 needing to be 1/3;1/3; 1/3.; I misread the revised contract.

What's important to me in my new window quest:
Energy efficient able to use the tax credit
I'm stuck with the white inside/brown outside due to condo regulations
Casement window profile for more air flow (I can choose from casements or sliders, again due to condo regulations)

Finding this much money right now in this economy is going to be hard for me. I guess I can choose to only replace a few of the qualified windows, still get the tax credit and hope I can afford to install the rest later OR I can choose to go with a lesser quality window that is still energy efficient. Is there another company/window that you all could guide me towards that might be less expensive but still qualify? Am I asking for the impossible?

Also, are vinyl windows a good choice for southern exposure windows with no shade at all?

I have an Alside independent installer coming tomorrow to talk about the UltraMaxx, I just would like some comps for the other two quotes. He has a wonderful reputation, but from what I read here the windows aren't comparable at all to the SoftLite LS, Champion.

Looking forward to more research....

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

Might want to see if Paradigm Windows are available in your area. They do offer two tone painted vinyl windows which may fit your needs.

http://www.paradigmwindows.com/rplc-home/

Color choices

http://www.paradigmwindows.com/beauty-h/

suz714

#5 Post by suz714 »

Just checked paradigm and they are not available in my area..thank you though for the response. Anyone else you could steer me towards?

I think I started at the top of the line and got sticker shock..I understand from reading here that the SoftLite Imperial LS is the same window as the Element except for glass warranty and upgrade of screens; I'm assuming that the Element would be less expensive, so I'll check with my rep.

Sorry if I sound ignorant..I"m trying to educate myself on this but with all these fine points to consider it can be overwhelming.

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

If you just checked online, you might want to call the factory anyway just to be sure. They don't always list all their dealers on the website.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Usually Elements is more exspensive and a different Soft-lite dealer.