Soft-Lite Elements and Sunrise Vanguard - Central Illinois

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dsallen

Soft-Lite Elements and Sunrise Vanguard - Central Illinois

#1 Post by dsallen »

As with many on this board, I'm looking for some professional advice on windows. This is my first experience with replacement windows, and frankly, it's more than a bit intimidating considering all factors, and the investment required. I have 8 double hung and 2 casements (on the front of the 2nd story) that need to be replaced. Or, possibly 10 double hung, if there's a double hung available as wide as the casement without looking weird, and without compromising its structural integrity. This is important, as these two are on the front of the house on the 2nd story - as I mentioned previously.

After reading this forum for over a week, and going back deep into pages of posts, I think that either the Soft-Lite Elements or Sunrise Vanguard would be a decent window choice, without breaking the bank. I also plan to have vinyl siding installed at the same time, on my split-level brick and wood sided home.

I'm currently in the "estimate" process, and just finished with an Alside salesman this evening. This appointment was set up prior to "doing my homework," and it appears that Alside is not a good choice, based upon their QC record. I plan to get at least 4 other estimates from other dealers/installers.

Do any of you know who may be a Soft-Light and Sunrise dealer for central Illinois? I live in the Champaign-Urbana area. I've gone to their respective websites in search of dealers, but would like any recommendations that any of you may have.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Soft-Lite Elements and Sunrise Vanguard - Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Don, your Softlite and Sunrise dealer are the same guy and I have it on strong authority he will call you tomorrow per your request to him. He also has Okna, Starmark and Gorell.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

Window4U (IL) wrote:Don, your Softlite and Sunrise dealer are the same guy and I have it on strong authority he will call you tomorrow per your request to him. He also has Okna, Starmark and Gorell.

You must be psychic. :lol:

dsallen

#4 Post by dsallen »

Thank you Window4U. I will look forward to the call. Of my two initial choices, do you have a preference on either? Or, can't I go wrong with either choice? Obviously, appearance, performance, and ease-of-cleaning are important, as well as air infiltration, as our current circa-1970 wood windows with vinyl jams leak air like a sieve!

My major concern is if any vinyl window is available with wood-grained tone on the inside, as our current windows and frames are walnut in color. A plain white vinyl window inside the walnut colored-frames, and sills, most likely wouldn't please my wife!

And, I get the inference on your use of italics. Yes, I did contact them, albeit they were listed as being located in Decatur, but had a telephone prefix of a Chicago suburb. I will await their call. Thanks again.

dsallen

#5 Post by dsallen »

Dave, no call as of yet today. It's best to call either in the morning from 9AM to noon, or 1PM to 5PM central.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I called you after my last appointment at 7:30. I'll try again in the morning.

dsallen

#7 Post by dsallen »

Sorry, my wife and I went out to dinner for the first time in a long time! Wouldn't you know it...

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I do not know about Sunrise but Soft-lite has 4 simulated stained wood interiors.

dsallen

#9 Post by dsallen »

We're undecided on the interior color of the vinyl windows. We have a few dark oak accents in some parts of this split-level (4 levels of living area), but the current wooden duo-pane double-hungs and casements are stained a walnut color, and all of the sills and/or trim, and all baseboard, are also the walnut stained wood. The vast majority of time, the windows are covered with sheers, curtains, or mini-blinds, so we practically never see the windows anyway! However, the contrast between a white vinyl replacement window and the trim might just be too much to bear when we do open the window coverings. I suppose it's all what you get used to over time.

My concern is that if we have a special laminate color on the inside to closely match the trim, what if when we sell the house the new owners end up changing out all of the trim and window surrounds? The dark inside color of the windows would be a problem. Perhaps white may be the best option after all - plus the obvious, they're less expensive. I've always been a traditionalist, and like real wood stained a certain color to be able to see the natural grain of the wood. Maybe my kids have the right idea with their more contemporary design thinking: all inside trim is painted white, no natural wood stained anything!

Windows4U is stopping by soon to give us an estimate, and I hope Dave can give us some insight on this dilemma, as I'm sure he's addressed this with numerous homeowners. I've seen this question pop up on this forum many times, as I've been perusing many posts on vinyl windows.

I will say this: this forum is a great resource for homeowners who are faced with a decision costing several thousands of dollars. At my age, I simply can't make a mistake, hence all of the research. I sincerely say "thank you" to those who have answered my questions.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You are not doing this for the next owners, it is for you.
You do not want to hurt your resell value, this choice will not do that.
So you have 2 driving factors that you have mentioned budget and beauty.
Identify, evaluate, pull the trigger.