Triple pane versus Double and tempering value

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
hootie

Triple pane versus Double and tempering value

#1 Post by hootie »

I am getting ready to purchase new windows for my 16 year-old house in the KC area. We have hot summers and cold winters. I cannot afford new windows for all of the house, but I have the immediate need to replace at least 9 windows, 3 which have lost their seals and 6 for bedrooms that face the west (extreme heat in summer and cold winds in winter). I have reps from several companies, and most that sell double pane Argon Low E are trying to convince me that triple pane with Krypton is not worth the cost. Every salesman that offers triple pane says the benefit is worth it, even though I am definitely moving in 4 years. (One of the bedrooms is for my son with special needs who is VERY temperature sensitive). I am demanding low expansion foam for the rest of the install. I am considering tempered glass as well since an impact from a wheelchair could easily shatter a pane, even though it is not required by code. Does tempered add any insulation factor? The U values are very misleading on the brochures from salespeople. I can got into specifics with companies, but I appreciate any comments about experiences from vendors in the KC area. Thanks for your help!

Windows on Washington

Re: Triple pane versus Double and tempering value

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tempered glass will not change the U-factor in any capacity.

Standard Low-e should cut the amount of radiant heat coming through the current windows by more than 2X fold.

If you are looking for more solar control and insulation value, you might want to consider triple pane argon because the krypton is what is expensive.

Also, go ahead with the tempered glass if you are concerned that you son might break the standard annealed glass. The added expense will easily pay for itself in safety.

hootie

#3 Post by hootie »

Thanks for your input. A salesperson mentioned that tempering adds 20% additional to the cost of the window. Is that correct? Also, can you temper just the lower half of a double hung? I am assuming the 20% is for both panes being tempered.

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Sure you can have just the lower sash tempered, it fact that's done much more often than both sashes. 20% upcharge for tempered sounds about right.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to Eco's comments.

We usually charge for Tempered glass per square foot and doing the lower sash would be the way you would do it in this case.