Advice Requested on 3 Estimates

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Mike58

Advice Requested on 3 Estimates

#1 Post by Mike58 »

Hi,
I've been gathering estimates for vinyl replacement windows on my 20 year old house in Massachusettes, which currently has standard quality, wood frame windows. The quotes below (from 3 different installers) include the installation of 17 DH windows (Low-E Dbl Pane with Argon fill / 6 over 1 grid pattern), PVC coated aluminum capping on the exterior frame, the repair of 2 rotted sills, and removal of the old windows. Any opinions, advice, recommendations etc. would be greatly appreciated.

- United 4800 series - $7550
- Gorell 5155 series - $8250
- Alside Ultramaxx series - $8000

Also, can anyone estimate, based upon the work described above, the approximate man hours it would take for a job this size? Just wondering since the time estimate varied from each installer.

Thanks!

Skydawggy

Re: Advice Requested on 3 Estimates

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

My choice would be the Gorell. This is a one day job with 2-3 installers assuming a basic wood window tear-out.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 on both points, although it would not be unreasonable to go into a second day.

Mike58

#4 Post by Mike58 »

Thanks Skydawggy for the quick reply. I am leaning toward the Gorell as well, based on reviews I've read on this forum and elsewhere. I'd like to go with the installer that quoted the Alside (he is close by and comes highly recommended) but he doesn't carry Gorell which is only available through a few dealers in this area. The feature I liked least with the Ultramaxx was the pocket sill. This same contractor said I could go with the Sheffield for a few bucks more which has a sloped sill. Would you still recommend the Gorell over this Alside model??

canuck

#5 Post by canuck »

That is a very cheap price for the gorell. The gorell is a good window, alside make poorly design/engineered windows. United is not held in high regard either.

Mike58

#6 Post by Mike58 »

Thanks to all for your input. One question I had about the Gorell dealer was the install time of one day that they gave me (2 men). I didn't want to buy a good window and get a rushed install. But seeing that this appears to be a normal timeframe for this job (they did say it may run into part of a second day), I will check out their references and if all looks good, I will go with them and the Gorells.

Thanks Again!! - Mike

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

Please check back with us after the install and let us know how everything went.

Mike58

#8 Post by Mike58 »

Follow up :
After weeks of research and having to reschedule the installation due to bad weather, finally had the windows installed 2 weeks ago. We went with Rite Window (http://www.ritewindow.com - New England area) and the Gorell 5155 Series, and so far we couldn't be happier. The windows are great and the install took less than a day with the crew of 4. I was a little nervous going with Rite since they contract out their installation, but these guys were very experienced (as are all their teams according to Rite) and did a fine job. The total for the job came to just over $7900 - the only difference from my original post being that we decided to go with grids on just the 4 windows in the front of the house. Rite/Gorell has an excellent warranty as well - Lifetime on vinyl frames and sashes, 50 years on parts, accessories, labor, and glass, which includes accidental breakage. It's only been 2 weeks, but we feel we made a good choice. Thanks to all who provided info and recommendations.

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

Thank you for the follow up. It's always great to hear success stories. Glad everything went well for you.

It is a myth that there is something wrong with using subcontractors for the installation. There are many very good installers out there that have formed their own companies for tax purposes and don't want to be an employee. Ultimately the contractor you sign with is responsible for the job. The truth is that many who claim not to use subs, often do.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

EcoStar Windows wrote:Thank you for the follow up. It's always great to hear success stories. Glad everything went well for you.

It is a myth that there is something wrong with using subcontractors for the installation. There are many very good installers out there that have formed their own companies for tax purposes and don't want to be an employee. Ultimately the contractor you sign with is responsible for the job. The truth is that many who claim not to use subs, often do.
+1 on all points. You have made a good choice and should be happy for years to come. I'd add that in addition to tax benefits, "subcontracted" installers make substantially more money than employees, therefore many of the best installers are subs. I have used both, and have had sucess and failure with both. It really just comes down to picking a solid company who stands behind their work and is "hands-on" with the quality control of their installers, regardless of how they are paid.