Patio Doors?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Rallymama

Patio Doors?

#1 Post by Rallymama »

We got some great information here a few years ago when we were replacing our windows. The time has now come to install a sliding patio door, and I was hoping to get similar help!

We've got a number of doors to choose from, listed below. Can anyone give me soem tips as to which I should seriously consider, and which I should run away from? If it matters, the opening is 8'Wx6'6"H. I'm going to omit pricing since I'm most concerned with quality now. We're putting this door in because we want to USE it, not to spiff the house up for sale! :lol:

Atrium-ReliaBuilt
Jeld-Wen
Peachtree
Pella ThermaStar
Soft-Lite
Great Lakes Premier
American Craftsman
Andersen

JScott

Re: Patio Doors?

#2 Post by JScott »

I would eliminate 3, 4 and 7. I can not speak for a few others as I am un-familiar.

I would add a few others also. Does this door get weather (sun, wind, rain,...) or is it in a location which is pretty protected. The environmental conditions are paramount in making a decision on durabilty. Gorell has a heavy screen for example. If you use the screen alot, really alot, this may be a factor for your list as well.

:mrgreen:

dsallen

#3 Post by dsallen »

I recently went through the research, and eventual purchase of windows, patio slider, and vinyl siding for our home. The windows in the "final cut" were, in alphabetical order: Gorell, OKNA, Soft-Lite, and Sunrise. We went with the Soft-Lite Elements window, but our contractor who carries all of the aforementioned windows, said that his choice for a patio sliding door is Sunrise. After carefully researching and comparing different companies' offerings, I would have to agree. We went with the Sunrise patio sliding door. Obviously, it's "to each his own" with every decision, but I think I made the right one based upon all the information available.

The Sunrise has three different screens available, including a heavy-duty "Pet Screen." The contractor said his experience with Sunrise patio doors far exceeds the others in terms of QC and overall performance. After measurement and ordering, he said the Sunrise just fit's and works! We're getting it with the "Sunblind" option, and it comes standard with triple jamb locks.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Out of your list, I'd suggest the Softlite or the Great Lakes Premium.

WindowInfo

#5 Post by WindowInfo »

Out of that list I would pick for my house the Great Lakes Premier.