Viwinco windows, are oceanview replacements worth the cost?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jmasters

Viwinco windows, are oceanview replacements worth the cost?

#1 Post by jmasters »

I have my window quotes in, and need some help.
3dbl 3/0-5/0, 2 sngl3/0-5/0, one sngl half round, 2sngl 3/0-3/0, 1 72x80 slider.
Viwinco windows
Very experienced viwinco installer who is a personal friend, and I trust his abilities, but I want more opinions on the value of these windows.
All oceanview laminated 34 sound rating........6256.00 windows only
Oceanview in back of home(1 dbl,23/0 singles, and slider) cambridge elsewhere....5403.00windows only
All cambridge.......3157.00........windows only
Are the oceanview worth the extra cost for sound reduction? We live 1/4 mile from train tracks, and though we are somewhat used to the noise, lessening it would be nice. Should I put them all aroud the house, or only in the rear facing the noise. Should I choose a different brand entirely? I defer to the experience, and expertise of those professionals posting here. Thanks for the advice. Jeff Masters

canuck

Re: Viwinco windows, are oceanview replacements worth the cost?

#2 Post by canuck »

your friend is buying the Viwinco window at a building supply house. its a builders grade window and not regarded as quality. i have seen it and do not prefer it. the fact that your friend is a contractor i am not surprised he chose viwinco. most contractors are not aware of better quality windows and on top of that,don't understand the difference. that said,its not a horrible window. why not look at simonton 5500's?

TheWindowNerd

Re: Viwinco windows, are oceanview replacements worth the cost?

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Isn't the 5550 bought and sold at the same supply house as the Viwnco units.
Why not look at Soft-lite or Okna?
You have to decide whether the laminated glass is worth the cost difference.