Window Replacement Help - Pittsburgh

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
carch

Window Replacement Help - Pittsburgh

#1 Post by carch »

To be forthcoming, I know absolutely nothing about windows. I bought a new house almost a year ago and have found the windows that were put in are probably as cheap as can be found. During the cold winters and humid summers, the air seepage is bolstering my energy bills.

Looking at replacing the following windows:

(3) 28" Width x 58" Height
(3) 34" Width x 46" Height
(1) 47" Width x 35" Height (slider window)

I received an estimate of $2300 for the windows/installation for "Polaris Thermalweld white vinyl windows with PPG Solarban 60 Low-E glass, aluminum trim, silicone caulking and old window disposal."

Am I getting the best bang for the buck?

Also, is there any insight as to what type of window is for the best insulation? If it helps, I am willing to spend up to $3500-4000 on new windows.

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window Replacement Help - Pittsburgh

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a ridiculously low price.

The ThermalWeld is an above average window and I personally have had good success with the Polaris company.

You might want to inquire as to what the UltraWeld window would cost you. They also have a decent triple pane option as well as a heat mirror option.

carch

#3 Post by carch »

Windows on Washington wrote:That is a ridiculously low price.

The ThermalWeld is an above average window and I personally have had good success with the Polaris company.

You might want to inquire as to what the UltraWeld window would cost you. They also have a decent triple pane option as well as a heat mirror option.
Do you think there is a possibility of shoddy installation work at that price?

Also, I've heard/read that the triple pane option really isn't much better, if at all, than the double pane? Will it substantially help reduce my heat costs?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

You need to look at the installer's work product and talk to some previous customers.

Triple pane, if in your budget, is certainly and upgrade.

Triple pane normally yields about a 20-30% increase in thermal performance.

carch

#5 Post by carch »

Over the past couple of days I've had a dealer stop by selling Seaway and another offering Polaris.

I received estimates for the following windows:

(3) 28" Width x 58" Height (double hung)
(3) 34" Width x 46" Height (double hung)
(3) 70" Width x 46" Height (2-lite slider)
(1) 47" Width x 35" Height (2-lite slider)

-The Seaway dealer said he had exclusive rights to deal Seaway products in Pittsburgh. He showed the Seaway Signature InsulGlaze 450: 7/8" dual pane LowE/Argon R value 4, U factor of 0.28, SHGC of 0.29. Super Spacer system. Overall I was very impressed with his professionalism and the product he was showing. Also brought in a heat lamp that heats to about 250 degrees. Heating the outside of the window showed that the inside temperature using a temperature gun only jumps about 2 degrees. I understand this is just a selling technique, but impressed overall.

The offer he gave was for just over $4700. Though I believe he'd be willing to work with me as low as $4500.

-The Polaris dealer was offering the double pane Ultraweld. LowE/Argon Double Strength Glass with a U of 0.30 and SHGC of 0.29. Intercept Spacer system. The offer he gave was for $4200.

The R-5 triple pane windows he priced out at about $4700.

I wanted to get everyone's feel on the above windows/prices for now, though I do have Simonton and Soft-Lite coming in at the end of the week.

Any advice on which is the better overall window and what I'm getting the better deal on?

canuck

#6 Post by canuck »

i also think polaris is an above average window. the first price is outlandishly cheap and to me thats a big red flag.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Are they wrapping all the exterior casing in aluminum or just the blindstops?That is best bang if the quality is there.

carch

#8 Post by carch »

i also think polaris is an above average window. the first price is outlandishly cheap and to me thats a big red flag.
Considering the triple pane Polaris comes out to the same price as the Signature, what makes the Signature "outlandishly" cheap? Not sure if it's just a marketing ploy, but per a magazine coupon, $100 per window was taken off, and then an additional 10 and 5%.

As well, anything you can tell me about the quality of the Signature windows? I haven't been able to find much as far as reviews go online.
Are they wrapping all the exterior casing in aluminum or just the blindstops?That is best bang if the quality is there.
I will have to find out from the Signature dealer. But the Polaris is installed with 1/8" fiberglass on the outside. Silicone on the inside. And then aluminum trimming. Not familiar with any of that myself, but that is what I recall the dealer saying.

canuck

#9 Post by canuck »

i strongly recommend polyurethane foam insulation opposed to fiberglass. i am uterly shocked that a good installer would charge such a cheap price. i don't know how he will make a profit.

carch

#10 Post by carch »

I spoke with the Seaway dealer. Concerning the installation, they too use fiberglass with caulking per the recommendations of the manufacturers due to the expansion of ....

The Seaway dealer, Certified Home Remodelers, also does other remodeling work, so I'm assuming/hoping that is the reason for the low price, and not unproffesional work or anything that may be a cause for concern. In addition he said $150 of it is listed for labor. And as I mentioned earlier, the sales consultant was very proffesional, and the testimonials he had brought in to read had some great remarks about the installers as well.

At this point, unless the Simonton or Soft-Lite product blows me away or gives me an offer I can't refuse, or someone here recommends either of those or the Polaris over the Signature, I will likely stick with the Signature.

Farmhouse

#11 Post by Farmhouse »

carch wrote:I spoke with the Seaway dealer. Concerning the installation, they too use fiberglass with caulking per the recommendations of the manufacturers due to the expansion of ....

The Seaway dealer, Certified Home Remodelers, also does other remodeling work, so I'm assuming/hoping that is the reason for the low price, and not unproffesional work or anything that may be a cause for concern. In addition he said $150 of it is listed for labor. And as I mentioned earlier, the sales consultant was very proffesional, and the testimonials he had brought in to read had some great remarks about the installers as well.

At this point, unless the Simonton or Soft-Lite product blows me away or gives me an offer I can't refuse, or someone here recommends either of those or the Polaris over the Signature, I will likely stick with the Signature.
Would you mind PM's or listing the dealers, and who you end up going with? I'm in the process of getting quotes to replace my windows in Pittsburgh area.

The first quote was a mix of Marvin Infinity (downstairs) and Alside Excalibur (upstairs), but I've been reading a lot of negative reviews about Alside's windows. I have another coming tomorrow who it seems mostly use Vinylmax.

Thanks.

carch

#12 Post by carch »

Seaway: Certified Home Remodelers. Again I was very impressed with their professionalism and product.
Polaris: Century Custom Windows
Simonton: Legacy Remodeling
Sunrise: Legacy Remodeling

I was shown Sunrise and Simonton yesterday, and the salesman highly recommended Sunrise over Simonton. Legacy is the exclusive dealer for Sunrise in Pittsburgh, so that may be part of the reason why, but the product overall did seem better.

The quote I got for the same windows for the Simonton 5500 dual pane with super spacer was $5864 and Sunrise was $6864.

Given that the quotes for the Simonton and Sunrise are well higher than those for the Seaway ($4700) and Polaris ($4200), can anyone tell me if those products are really that much better to make up the difference in the price or if I'm just getting a better deal in the Seaway and Polaris products?

Farmhouse

#13 Post by Farmhouse »

Thanks for getting back to me! :mrgreen: I will look up Legacy and Century (at min.). I had a local company called Dun-rite (near 28) come out and they mostly deal with Vinylmax windows, though any reviews or feedback is really hard to come by on the net. He didn't do the whole sales pitch mostly b/c I told him what I need (decent windows on a budget). I don't see a reason to get the best windows since my place doesn't even have insulation (100+ yrs old).

Quote came back as:
-18 Vinylmax Hyde Park DH's @ $7,650

or

-11 Hyde Park DH's and 7 Sherwood @ $9640