Replacement Windows in Denver

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kerrys

Replacement Windows in Denver

#1 Post by kerrys »

I am beginning to get quotes for replacement windows. Is there anyone out there familiar with the Denver market. Accent Windows is locally owned and makes their own windows. I am also looking at Champion, American Exterior, and K&H (made by Republic Windows I think).

I don't know if a local company or a national company is better.

Any advice would be welcomed.

kerrys

Will91

Re: Replacement Windows in Denver

#2 Post by Will91 »

Hi:

I can help you with this question. I am also in the Denver area and have thoroughly examined the choices.

After looking at Amerimax, Republic, Great Lakes, Gorell, Quantum, Milgard and Simonton, I was most impressed with Simonton - followed by Gorell, Great Lakes and Milgard (in that order). Milgard Tuscany was very economical AND they have a great warranty AND they even have an assembly factory in Aurora (which I went to), but I liked the fit and finish and aesthetics of the Simonton 9800. It is a much more elegant looking window and I believe the construction is a notch above the Milgard as well. You can find several dealers offering Milgards and it would be hard to go wrong with them, but if you want something a little more refined with slightly better construction IMHO, then I would check into Simonton. And, the quotes I have gotten for the Simonton were equivalent, or just a little more, than the Milgards. Also, Milgard, Simonton and Great Lakes all extrude their own vinyl - which I think is a nice bonus.

kerrys

#3 Post by kerrys »

Thanks for the responses. I have been reluctant about Champion, so I'm glad to see someone else feels that way as well.

I went on the Simonton web site to see where to buy in Denver. I did not see a well-known (to me) window dealer. Where would you buy these windows with installation? With the exception of Milgard, which I have always thought of as a low-end window carried by Home Depot, and Republic, which K & H sells, I had never heard of these other manufacturers until finding this discussion board. So I am confused about the "big names" in Denver that you always see at the home shows, hear their advertising, etc.

Any additional thoughts you can share would be welcomed!

kerrys

Will91

#4 Post by Will91 »

Hi Kerrys

Before I discovered this board, I also had never heard of some of the more reputable vinyl window manufacturers like Simonton, Gorell and Great Lakes. As you know, here in Denver, Champion is all we ever hear about. I am grateful to the window gurus here who have introduced me to much better manufacturers. The windows most people talk about on this board are simply not as prevalent in our state - but they can be found!

As far as big names in Denver, you are right, there are several. These places find a vinyl extruder to produce their lineals, they buy the lineals, glass, spacers, and other hardware, and they make windows. As I mentioned, many of the manufacturers listed above are a turn-key operation and have been doing it for decades. Milgard, Great Lakes, and Simonton all extrude their own vinyl. They do not buy it from a supplier or contract the work. The vinyl formulation, quality control, etc. is all under their control - which, as I mentioned above, is a big plus in my book. You were wise to do some internet research and discover this forum. It is a great source for education filled with very knowledgeable and generous people that have personally helped me in my education and search.

As I mentioned, the Simonton 9800 is my top pick out of all the windows I carefully examined. I think Gorell is as nice, if not a little nicer, but they were about 40% more AND even more difficult to find in CO than Simonton. I have spent a lot of time at this - visiting showroom after showroom; in home presentations, looking at websites over lunch, etc. etc. One difficulty is that no one window company here offers more than one or two brands, so it is difficult to do any real side by side comparisons. After a while, I started taking a digital camera with me!

You will not find Simonton dealers in Denver proper. You will find distribution places like ABC and Norandex - and they can give you names of installers that can purchase from them and install. Be aware that in this case, you are hiring an installer, and not a window company per se.

By the way, I also had a presentation from K&H. K&H is a window and siding company and they sell Republic windows (made in Chicago). I also recently went to their showroom and saw it again. There is no comparison to the Simonton window. The glazing bead pieces were butt joints and poorly done. The Simonton has nice mitered joints on the glazing bead pieces. FYI, I have also looked at Renewal by Anderson. Again, there is no comparison.

Also remember installation is very important. I have found that dealers selling quality windows mentioned above were better able to answer my detailed questions regarding installation. I can't imagine a Champion window rep. here knowing anything about sill flashing etc.

Let me know if you need any more input and report back what you decide. I'm just glad I can actually help someone here after asking so much!

kerrys

#5 Post by kerrys »

Hi Will91

Wow, you have done a ton of research -- far more than I really have time for, I'm afraid. But I am very interested in learning more about the Simonton window, and most especially, how you went about finding an installer, if you went in that direction. I know a couple of people -- one who does only windows, but I am uncertain about how well they would do compared to say, an Accent Window installer who installs the same windows every day.

Any thoughts?

kerrys

Will91

#6 Post by Will91 »

Hi:

Based on my initial experiences interviewing window companies, I found I could NOT afford to not research the options. Since I am also having siding done too (by another contractor) it is important for me to know that the windows, housewrap and siding are all integrated correctly.

Give Randy at Norandex a call. He can give you some names of installers that have put in Simonton windows. You can also get other names from Nancy at another distributor: Lansing Building Products. I always ask "do you have someone that YOU would use for your installation". If you want to see the Simonton window, ask if they have one on display at the warehouse.

As far as installation, I think a good window installer will do a good job no matter what the particular brand is. However, if they have not done a Simonton, I would get a copy of the installation guidelines from Simonton (just ask them through Contact Us). You could also ask your installer if they adhere to AAMA installation guidelines. Of course my preference would be if they have actually installed a Simonton - but that's just me.

kerrys

#7 Post by kerrys »

Will91 -- Great advice! I'll take the time to get to up to Norandex and check out the windows and ask about installers.

Thanks for taking time to help me out!

kerrys

jolo

#8 Post by jolo »

kerrys wrote:I am beginning to get quotes for replacement windows. Is there anyone out there familiar with the Denver market. Accent Windows is locally owned and makes their own windows. I am also looking at Champion, American Exterior, and K&H (made by Republic Windows I think).

I don't know if a local company or a national company is better.

Any advice would be welcomed.

kerrys
Kerry,
  • I advise you strongly to walk away from Champion Windows.
  • Champion is a National Company, not a local one, although they have an office in Denver. They are HQd in Cincinnati with well over 50 offices nationwide, however, the local Denver salesperson will say that they are local. In fact the Champion salesperson will say whatever they think you would want to hear.
  • Call Champion for a quote or ask to see the Windows costs on their web site.
  • While their Windows (they have one type), are not bad windows, there is nothing special about them, except for the pricing of them, which can be two to three times the cost of an equivalent product. They are decent, average Windows.
  • I am trying to help my son out, who is a young man, who in the past year became a first time buyer, and has a Town Home in Hylands Ranch. Due to his naivete, he let a slick, dishonest Champion salsrep , run all over him. You can see the itemized invoice, which he refused to give, until after about six weeks.
  • The delivery is about six weeks late and getting anyone to call back is next to impossible. We are trying to get out of this very bad sale, as they have left us no recourse.
  • The amount of "inconsistencies" and "inaccuracies" in the salsrep's story are amazing, but they are very consistent with a ton of other customer posts about Champion.
  • They DO NOT have their staff install any of their Windows, but use whatever contractors that they can find and possibly there will be a single Champion person from their installer department or someone who has a greater level of experience than the low cost subcontractors. We have tried to request people from their Installation staff to get involved with the installation and they won't do that. This counters what the salsrep initially said.
  • Try to find someone who had their warranty honored. (that does not pass to the next homeowner).
There is soooooooooooo much more. If anyone has any thoughts on how to get out of a Champion sale, before the installation, PLEASE let me know.

Thank you,

Jon. :roll:
Attachments
Field Worksheet1.png
The cost of simple Champion Slide Windows.
(144.49 KiB) Downloaded 249 times