JeldWen and American Craftsman vinyl windows comparison

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
slorence

JeldWen and American Craftsman vinyl windows comparison

#1 Post by slorence »

Does anyone have a comparison between JeldWen replacement vinyl windows and American Craftmans replacement vinyl windows for the cold northern states.

TLHWINDOWS

Re: JeldWen and American Craftsman vinyl windows comparison

#2 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

American Craftsman = SilverLine.

Better than JeldWen in my opinion, but you HAVE to make sure they are installed correctly or they will leak like the window is open.

Texwindow

#3 Post by Texwindow »

I am not sure of which window is best, but I went with the Jeld Wen. I ordered them from Home Depot and its been a PITA. One window took 3 orders to get it right, every time the windows came in damaged. On another order 3 sliders they sent all three windows were sliding the wrong direction. Another order one of the windows was a 1/2in short in width. And every time they had to reorder it took two weeks to get a replacement. The only reason I am still dealing with them is because they keep giving us a very good discount every time they screw up or the window comes in damaged. Jeld Wen does a poor job of packaging their windows for shipping, usually the two bottom corners are cardboard protected and one or two wraps of plastic that covers the bottom third of the window. I had a couple of windows come in that looked like they were pulled across a rough concrete floor and the vinyl was chewed up really bad, of course I did not accept them. Both the Home Depot people and the Jeld Wen folks that I have dealt with are really nice people and they have given us good discounts to make their issues right. I have been replacing my windows as I get the money have about 10 more to go and 3 sliders, so hopefully they will become more consistent. :mrgreen:

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

For the life of me I cannot understand why people continue to have Orange or Blue do installs. Come on people, the information is out there...Pay attention to it! Does anyone actually believe that a top notch installer needs Orange or Blue installs? The pay for installers is paltry. Any issues are charged back to the installer even if he did nothing wrong. Does that sound like the kind of place an experienced installer would want to work? Would YOU work some where that at the end of the week your paycheck was cut in half due to mistakes someone else made? If people knew the truth behind the scenes of Orange and Blue they would never support them.
Did you know they are charging the poor installer for all those discounts? I'm sure he will be willing to do a great job when he finds out he's not making much!

Texwindow

#5 Post by Texwindow »

I dont think you understand, I am installing them myself, I am the POOR installer. :wink:

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

Sorry, didn't mean the rant to be directed at you. Just using your frustration with the incompetence of the ordering process to demonstrate QC throughout the entire system.

JScott

#7 Post by JScott »

Obviously not the Jeld-Wen Ipex. Jeld-Wen has so many. The box stores and LBL dealers seem to have the lower price point lines. The Ipex DH resembles an RBA.