- Is there a good quality fiberglass window with a nice bright white color (not grey or blue)?
- Are my vinyl longevity concerns unfounded?
- Should my west-facing sliding door be fiberglass or vinyl? And since it's at ground level - should it have a thick (French) bottom frame or is a regular patio sliding door frame OK? Brand/model recommendations welcome.
- I want more light than less through the windows... Is there a good slim line vinyl window option that meets the tax credit qualifications and looks good (no ugly weld seams etc)? (I'm in Northern VA)
- Are the vinyls with metal reinforcement (at the top of the bottom sash) better than those without?
- What other tax-credit-qualified window can you recommend with high Visible light transmission. (I just hate the idea of cutting down on light).
- What price range should I expect for the Soft-Lite or similar vinyl? Is 500ish for a medium dbl hung installed a fair price or should I shop around?
1. Inline fiberglass offers custom colors, so you could choose the shade of white that you prefer. However, it is not a narrow framed window.
2. Yes they're unfounded if you're considering higher quality products - Soft-lite, Sunrise, Okna. Cheap vinyl windows can have major problems in the heat though, and so you're right to be concerned in that regard.
3. This is all about personal preference. Neuma makes a good fiberglass door, if they're available in your area.
4. Okna makes a narrow framed window that Windows on Washington carries. He is a great resource for you, and I recommend (with the others) that you contact him.
5. Yes. Sash reinforcement is a must, IMO.
6. I'll defer to WoW on this, since I'm in a completely different region of the country.
7. Price varies widely by region and the details of installation, so again Windows on Washington is better equipped to answer this question.
Windows on Washington offers a variety of products, including the Infinity by Marvin. He will work with you to find the right product for your home and your budget. Whichever product you end up with, the installation will be superb and that's absolutely critical.