Spacer

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cazzy

Spacer

#1 Post by cazzy »

What's the Gorell intercept spacer made of WindDoze? Why is the SuperSpacer and TPS better? Thanks in advance.

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

The intercept spacer is metallic. Think of it this way. It get's cold outside, the outside pane of glass gets cold. The metal spacer touching that outside pane of glass gets cold, and conducts that cold to the inside pane of glass. Glass has about no insulative qualities whatsoever, so now at some level, cold is being conducted into your house. That's the theory.
Superspacer is foam and has no conductivity. TPS is an organic rubber. Unlike a metallic spacer, as the glass contracts and expands, the soft spacers move with the glass, cutting down on the possibility of seal failure over a metallic spacer.
Alot of manufacturers are using super spacer. TPS, for now, is only available on Schuco windows, but I believe others are trying to license it's use for their products.

cazzy

Spacer

#3 Post by cazzy »

Gorell calls their spacer warm edge technology. Wonder why?

HipKat

#4 Post by HipKat »

The intercept spacer differs from most aluminum spacers in that it's a channel shaped, insted of tube shaped, so it cuts down on conductivity.

researcher

#5 Post by researcher »

"The metal spacer touching that outside pane of glass gets cold"

I do don't think this correct HipKat. The metal spacer does not touches the outside pane of glass nor the inside pane of glass.

WindDoze

#6 Post by WindDoze »

HipKat is correct. PPG the manufacturer of the Intercept spacer calls it "warm edge technology" in comparison to the old aluminum spacers. The u shaped steel is less conductive than aluminum, but it is a conductor nonetheless. Windows with metal spacer systems will have a colder temperature at the edge of the glass, and therefore be more susceptible to condensation. The metal spacers also have a much higher likelihood of seal failure as well, which really is the most likely problem to arise with thermal panes anyway. TPS (Schuco) is the best seal system out there, period. Superspacer would be second.

researcher

#7 Post by researcher »

WindDoze, click on this link and read the second paragraphs under the three crossection pictures. The metal spacer is not touching that outside pane of glass nor the inside pane of glass.

http://www.wallsidewindows.com/intercept.html

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

You give a lot of stock in that hundreth of an inch of sealant Researcher. :)
Here is a diagram of intercept similar to what you saw, and then what it really looks like. As you can see, the spacer is much closer to the glass than in the diagram.

Intercept is a great improvement over what prededed it and is acceptable in a window,... though Superspacer and TPS will do better job of keeping the inside glass warmer. TPS will also do a much better job of gas retention.

researcher

#9 Post by researcher »

"You give a lot of stock in that hundredth of an inch of sealant Researcher."

I am not giving stock to anything, i am just saying it is not touching, but you are right it is much closer than one is lead believe.

FenEx

#10 Post by FenEx »

Great pictures for showing the desiccant filled belly too. There's enough in there to absorb infiltrating moisture and hide seal failures for atleast 10-15 years. It's kind of like buying a new boat with a hull full of sponges.

HipKat

#11 Post by HipKat »

So what you're saying is that it could still leak, but will remain hidden???

FenEx

#12 Post by FenEx »

Absolutely Hipcat... that's the purpose of desiccants... to hide seal failures and control moisture present in partially filled I.G. units. Research some window spacer desiccant suppliers... they brag about how their products will conceal infiltrated moisture longer than the competition and keep windows from fogging longer. SIGMA (Sealed Insulated Glass Manufacturers Association) was asked to do a study for the USDOE in 2000. They actually cut open window units that were up to 20 years old. The tested for moisture in the desiccants. The BEST units had 4%-10% failure rates. It's about time a few manufacturers invested in technology to avoid the failures instead of hiding them.

HipKat

#13 Post by HipKat »

Very interesting.
just out of curiosity, I wonder what the failure rates for Super Spacer & TPS are??
I magine TPS is very, very low.

researcher

#14 Post by researcher »

I have heard, from more than one source, that the Argon will escape right through the glass itself over time. I am not sure, but i feel this is true. It may take a long time, but nether the less, it will happen. What do you guys have to say about this?

Dan

#15 Post by Dan »

My company has been using Super Spacer for close to 9 years without a seal failure. I know other window manufacturers who use Super Spacer and none of them has ever had a seal failure either.