Windows to Choose

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cliqhere

Windows to Choose

#1 Post by cliqhere »

Ok... Need your opinion for windows. I narrowed it down to two window manufacturers.... I live in Southern California and don't know which of the two would be better. Prices are about the same.

Monte Verde

Triple Low E with Argon

or

AMSCO Studio Series

CozE standard low-e

Cons: Heard that this series is not tax deductible.

Can anyone help please!

Thanks!

Will91

Re: Windows to Choose

#2 Post by Will91 »

Hi:

I looked at the AMSCO series, but I think the Studio is their entry-level window. Check out their Artisan if it fits your budget. They can also supply a laminated window for extra noise reduction/security it that is of any value. Overall, I thought Amsco makes a good window and they use Cardinal IG units but the fit and finish was not quite up to par with other choices I looked at like Simonton, Gorell or Vanguard. I have not heard of your other choice. If functionality is of primary importance, I think this would be an OK choice, but if you value aesthetics, fit and finish, and attention to detail, I would keep looking. Have you considered Simonton? I believe they make a slim line window only available in CA.

cliqhere

#3 Post by cliqhere »

The Monte Verde series is a subdivision of Anlin.

I just called HD and scheduled to have a estimate tomorrow morning for the Simonton series. What are their biggest selling points?

Since I am in the Southern CA do I really "need" AR gas?

Thanks!

Will91

#4 Post by Will91 »

Hi:

I'm not an installer, but became a very educated consumer so I hope I can help you with some questions. A lot of my education was due to the kindness of many professional installers and other consumers here on this board. I was so glad to have found this site when I was shopping.

If you are interested in Simonton, I would not go with Home Depot. They only have one of the Simonton models and will only use their subcontracted installers - so you really don't know who will show up to install and what the quality will be. My suggestion would be to contact the Simonton suppliers - check the Simonton website. Usually Simonton distributes through ABC, Norandex or Ted Lansing. Call the distributor and ask for the branch manager. Find out who he or she would recommend to install - since the installers all buy from these suppliers. Alternatively, you might find a window store somewhere in your area that actually has the Simonton on display and has their own installers - but this was not the case in my area. I know this might be a bit more work but believe me, it is worth it. I learned so much by going to the suppliers and looking at the models on display.

I think the default Simonton IG unit is with Argon. You would probably have to special order breather or capillary tubes (ie, no argon). So, why not just get the argon. There are only positives to having it. Your biggest decision will probably be what glass package to get - ie, low e coating. If you want solar heat gain, go for high SHGC value but we aware the window probably won't qualify for the energy tax credit (if that is even being offered now in 2011). Solar heat gain is nice for north facing windows. If you have southern exposure and want to block the heat, go for low SHGC like 366 glass.

As for selling points, I liked the fit and finish, customer support, and reputation of Simonton. They use a quality vinyl "profile" that is thick and rigid. They make a window that is built to last - I just had 18 of them installed in my place! But if you find a window store you like, you can ask about other nice choices - my other contender was Gorell. I found both to be better in my estimation than Amsco.
Last edited by Will91 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeff1995

#5 Post by jeff1995 »

Argon has limited value here in SoCal. You should read and understand the Amsco warranty concerning labor.

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

If you like the Simonton's, I would recommend using low solar gain glass on all windows in SoCal. The ETC Super 366 would be my choice because it comes with Super Spacer. Second choice would be ETC Starter 366 with Supercept.

cliqhere

#7 Post by cliqhere »

Thank you all for your thoughts.

One thing I found out that the Monte Verde windows come with a lifetime accidental warranty(from the contractor) on top of the warranty from the manufacturer itself. Does that sounds a little fishy?

Going to check out the Simontons tomorrow from 2 contractors.

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

Simonton offers a lifetime warranty that covers the windows and labor from the factory. I think you will like the Simonton Window. They also have a very good reputation for quality products and first rate warranty and customer service.