EPA lead paint policy impact to window replacement project

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Windows on Washington

Re: EPA lead paint policy impact to window replacement project

#16 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:
singlepane wrote:HomeSealed, thank for taking time to answer my question. You have always been helpful and I really appreciate it!

Technical speaking, could you help me understand the advantage and disadvantage of "insert" and "full frame tear out"? Is "insert" less reliable or less preferred from energy saving/quality perspective? What usually is the cost difference between these two method as far as labor is concerned? What's RRP? I so hope you cover my area! Do you have any reference for north west Washington state?
RRP is the " Renovate Right Procedures" which is the formal name for the EPA lead-safe program....Inserts vs Full-frame: Like anything else there are pros and cons both ways. Obviously the huge benefit to doing an insert is the cost savings. A full frame tear-out will usually have the more extensive RRP procedures as well as a substantial amount of extra work involved on the installation end. There is also the possibility depending on your application that your interior trim will need to be replaced, exterior trim will need to be replaced, etc. It is quite possible for a full frame tear-out to run a few hundred more per opening when all is said and done. The advantage however is that you get a larger window with more glass space, and you are pretty much starting from scratch in terms of flashing, insulation around the opening, etc... Inserts are far more popular because you can still get a properly sealed and installed product for quite a bit less. The times when I'd strongly recommend a full-frame are if you are replacing your siding at the same time, or if you have had some evidence of leakage etc.... Unfortunately, I don't get out toward your area much, so I'm afraid that I don't know of anyone to refer.
+1

Very well summed up.

Pros - More glass, more complete installation (i.e. addressing the connection with the building), and potentially less air leakage.

Cons - Price, Likely replacement of interior trim which will not require paint, disturbance.

In terms of RRP, you will have a much more exhaustive process with a full tear out.

TheWindowNerd

#17 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+2
Nicely stated.
Thanks guys for the insert RRP comments.

ZipWall

#18 Post by ZipWall »

If you would like to learn more about the EPA Renovation, Repair, and Painting (RRP) Rule and how it impacts window replacement, we have some useful resources available at http://www.zipwall.com/epa.php.
We also have RRP FAQs answered by EPA at http://www.zipwall.com//lp/EPAFAQ.html
Hope it helps!

singlepane

#19 Post by singlepane »

Thanks a lot ZipWall, HomeSealed and everyone else.
So in general insert is not necessarily bad but it's likely not as sound a method of install - depending how the job is done, potentially it could introduce more air leak?

I am suggested to look around for more quotes. And I do have another question about painted vinyl here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4259

Thanks again.

ZipWall

#20 Post by ZipWall »

You are very welcome!

Door&WindowPlus

#21 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

If you have questions call the local EPA office in your state. They have a information officer that should answer all you questions.

Some states do not allow for lead testing without state certification. California is one that I know of but there might be others.

HomeSealed

#22 Post by HomeSealed »

D&WP makes a good point. Some states (including WI) have a special classification because their standards are higher than the federal regulations. Having been certified in WI, I would not need to be certified to practice RRP in another state by said state. the downside is that we don't do any lead testing at all up here because there is currently no test on the market that can reach the strict standards that were adopted.

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:D&WP makes a good point. Some states (including WI) have a special classification because their standards are higher than the federal regulations. Having been certified in WI, I would not need to be certified to practice RRP in another state by said state. the downside is that we don't do any lead testing at all up here because there is currently no test on the market that can reach the strict standards that were adopted.
XRF gun can tell you exactly what you have.

HomeSealed

#24 Post by HomeSealed »

You may be right, but for $20-$30k, I think we'll just follow the procedures until they come out with a cheaper test that meets the guidelines.

canuck

#25 Post by canuck »

we just assume there is lead in all homes built prior to 78 which is not a big deal since we unknowingly followed proper procedure for years just in the name of cleanliness. we DO NOT test for lead and tell the home owner from day one. if it comes up negative and someone gets lead poisoning 100 years from now,the ambulence chasers will look at me. not happening !
plus,i tell the home owner if it does come up possitive they need to disclose that info when they sell their home; have fun explaining that in a down market. we hand out the pamphlet and follow procedure which is what we normally do anyway so no skin off my back.let the EPA get their rocks off until the scare tactics blow over. this whole thing should be an onus on the home owner not the contractor. a home owner wants to buy an old home?> they need to be responsible adults and check for lead before they buy it,not after and put the burden on some contractor.