Allside v United v Crystal Series

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
akessie

Allside v United v Crystal Series

#1 Post by akessie »

I'm looking to replace 12 DH windows and convert 2 DH to a bay window. I have quotes from 3 different companies - 2 which are within $1k of eachother (Allside Excallibur and United 4800 series) and then Crystal Series 200, which is about 50% less. I'm looking for some guildance on the positives and negatives of each and an explanation of why the Crystal Series is so much less expensive. The United installed said he uses shims and caps on each window, which many installers don't ordinarily do, that instead, installers often just nail in the windows. Is that an accurate statement. In addition to the manufacturers warranty, Excallibur comes with a 10 year workmanship warranty, United a 1 year workmanship. I don't have information on the Crystal Serier workmansip warranty as of yet.

Thanks!

Delaware Mike

Re: Allside v United v Crystal Series

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm not a fan of any of those products. All vinyl insert replacement windows would get anchored into into framing by means of screws through the jambs. Shimming is part of that process. Some guys that install from the outside will allow the torque on the screw threads and spray foam act in place of an actual shim. Nails would only be used to anchor a "new construction" nailing flange type of installation. A good installer would also add screws through the jambs.

akessie

#3 Post by akessie »

Mike - What vinyl replacement windows would you recommend?

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Brands that I have first hand experience with in no particular order: Sunrise, Soft-Lite, OKNA, Plygem, Simonton, Gorell. All of these manufacturers have different series, kind of like a "good, better, best" scenario. Some of the entry level series might not be the best choice for all installations. On the flip side, the very best series might not be available in your area and might be held exclusive to a very large dealer that could have an aggressive sales approach and beyond most folk's budgets.

Best thing to do is to research this site and then get a few more estimates with your new found window knowledge.

ranger

#5 Post by ranger »

Those are all lower end brands and not only do they look cheap but they do not perform well at all, especially over time.
Okna , gorell, sunrise, and soft lite are the higher quality brands that most pro's recommend. All of these brands are designed very well and very energy efficient.

akessie

#6 Post by akessie »

I'm located in North Jersey - Union county. Are those brands available in my area?

Thanks.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Someone closer to you can chime in, but from what I've seen, all of those are available in the Jersey area.

ranger

#8 Post by ranger »

yes , Okna has a northern nj dealer and so does Gorell.