Weighing vinyl window options in S. Jersey

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
funnysunny

Weighing vinyl window options in S. Jersey

#1 Post by funnysunny »

We are located in S. Jersey and are looking to replace 7 DH white vinyl windows (roughly 34”x70”) and a patio door (a 6 footer). While we don’t plan on spending more than five more years in the house, we want to get good quality windows that could dampen the sound from the road directly behind our house. Our budget is set at $7,000. Below are the estimates I’ve received from reputable installers, which include recapping:

Option 1
Soft-Lite Imperial LS: double-pane, foam filled frames, super spacers, low-e and argon. $6400

Option 2
Gorell 5300: double pane, foam filled frames, intercept spacer, argon and low-e. $6894 ($7190 for triple pane).

Option 3
Okna 800: double pane, foam filled frames, heat seal, low e, and argon. $6365

Option 4 (same installer as 3)
Okna 500: double pane, foam filled frames, heat seal, low e and argon. $4265 ($4755 for triple pane, U-Factor: .20).

I’ve already eliminated the Sunrise Verde window because I didn’t like the installer.

Considering our NE location, would one window be better performer? I’m partial to the Okna 500 tripe pane because I could do a few more windows and still come in on budget. (My neighbors have tripe pane windows and you can't hear a peep from the road.) I, however, think that maybe buying fewer, but better quality/performing, would be best in the long run.

Thanks

Delaware Mike

Re: Weighing vinyl window options in S. Jersey

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Option #4 looks mighty good, almost too good to be true. I don't understand the price difference between the 800 and the 500 series? It's a big jump and the dealer cost between the two different series isn't anywhere near that much to jump from the 500 to the 800, unless I'm missing some options not listed.

Your window sizing is on the large size so I do recommend a window with a well engineered design such as the Imperial LS and the OKNA 800. I don't personally know that much amount the differences between the different OKNA models so I'm sure some to the other Pros will chime in.

EcoStar Remodeling

#3 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I agree #4 with TP looks like the way to go.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

One more vote for option 4... Are the options equal on the 800 and 500 quotes? I have the same question as DM in that regard.. The 500 series is a very well built product. I'd rate it only a shade below the 800, which has more options and some extra bells and whistles. Make sure to get the Deluxe (DX) package with either choice.
Two more points: Any of those choices are very good to excellent, and will serve you will. Good job on finding solid products.
2) The Okna 500 pricing does seem kinda crazy. If you take off $2k (give or take) for the pation door, that puts your average window well under $400ea. That is either scary, or just an insane "off-season" discount... Do your homework on the installation company to make sure that is legit.

mpd2012

#5 Post by mpd2012 »

Im in the same area. Who did you get an okna quote from?

funnysunny

#6 Post by funnysunny »

The pricing for the 500 tripe pane is $465 per window and $1500 for the slider. The company, Universal Windows LLC, has been in business for 30+ years and has an A+ rating from the BBB. I was referred to them by Okna. I did question them about their pricing. They said they do some of the manufacturing (or rather the assembly) themselves after getting the parts from Okna. And they charge a flat rate for each window type. As a result, they are able to have such good pricing.

I, however, have already had a bad window install job and I'm not going down that path again. I will do some more digging and call their references. I will also call Okna to get another referral.

I owe a big thank you to everyone on this site for directing me to such solid window options. The old posts/comments really provided me with a wealth of information. Too bad I didn't find this site before my previous window install job.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With the size of your units I like option 1 or 3.
Both are great windows, neither will be a mistake.