Simonton question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rmleer

Simonton question

#1 Post by rmleer »

I posted this on the other board also.

According to these specs, would the total thickness of the laminated pane be 1/8" .063 + "random thickness interlayer" +.063 ??

Or would it be closer to 1/4" ??

Also, I didn't think they offered the 9800 as a double slider but that's what I got.
Not complaining there but I'm trying to make sure I got what I paid for.
The info sticker was wrong but I could post info from the gold sticker in the framing later if needed.
Thanks.

9800 Impressions White Slider (XO); Tip-to-Tip; BOX; 1'' IGU Thickness; Sensor Glass - LowE Softcoat; Super Spacer; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Laminated All Inside; Double Strength (1/8"); Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two White; Logo Lock; Regular Lift Handles; Corrosion Resist Roller/Glide; Head Expander; Sill Extender; Glass Warranty (UI=106"); DP:20; Test Number=61121.02; U-Factor:.31; SHGC:.29; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR
region(s): Northern, North Central, South Central, Southern

Oberon

#2 Post by Oberon »

Two lites of 1/16" glass - and I have no idea what they mean by random thickness interlayer. Depending on the application, the interlayer is most likely to be either .030" or .090"...

rmleer

#3 Post by rmleer »

Before I bought it, the window people I went with told me it would be .125 + .060 interlayer + .125 and double strength for the outside pane giving me the differing thickness I was shooting for.
I said "random thickness" because at the time I couldn't remember what they said.
They had it written down to show me when they came over.
I was told this on the other board to and it very well could be but it just doesn't look like it.

If the laminated pane was .250+ then I'd think there would be an obvious gap seen between the spacer in that spot.

If it is .125/.190 or .250 it's still not coming close to muffling the dogs enough for me.
I had this put in my noisiest room to test it out before buying more.
It does block alot of other noises that were bugging me and I watched the guy install it for almost 4hrs and it looked like a good install.
Other than not getting the reduction I was hoping for, I'm happy with the purchase.

I may be re-using my old window as an interior one so I can reclaim my master bedroom..

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#4 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

We have a customer who has a triple with one lami one tempered and one regular and a storm made with lami and I might add a pretty good storm. They seem very happy with the total results. I have no idea if this is the way to go, but just a suggestion.

rmleer

#5 Post by rmleer »

Since I just paid 650 for the new vinyl window (est. 70"x48") I'm out of options for trying anything other than an interior.
Is their lami storm on the inside or out?

On the inside I used to have a 1/2" thick board covering the whole window with a cutout in the middle of it and 1/8" plex covering that cutout.
This gave me a large airgap and major muffling of barking at the price of one ugly looking interior window.
I spent alot of work on that prototype and didn't want to put any more $ into that project.
I finally went with the Simonton assuming it would reduce the barking noise as good because of the laminate and the fact the window would be insulated this time.

If I'm able to use my old dual pane as an interior storm, it's still going to look ugly but I'm at the point of not caring again lol.
Drapes will cover it up from the inside and blinds will be between them blocking view from the outside.

I think laminated Simontons will work better in some of my other rooms since the noise isn't as bad.

shamu

#6 Post by shamu »

You may want to consider looking into windows which are actually designed for noise abatement. Milgard is one manufacturer, I believe it is called Quiet Line. You could possibly switch the window you just had installed to another room if the the size permits and install such a window in its place. Good luck!

rmleer

#7 Post by rmleer »

Unfortunately this was the biggest of the 4 sliders.
If I add up the cost of the new window and the materials I've bought to experiment with, I probably could have just went with the Milgard in the first place. :lol:

Just finished rigging my old window as an interior one.
Don't laugh too hard...
Crossing my fingers that it works.
I lost airspace since sheetrock was cut back to make the new window set more flush to the house.

What ticks me off is I can fabricate stuff out of metals but don't have the ..... to try installing a window.

New Simonton (looked like rain so no time to paint the trim yet)

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#8 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

You mentioned barking more than once, maybe pay the owner to put a muzzle on him.

guinness

Re: Simonton question

#9 Post by guinness »

how do you like the simonton window install? do you know what the stc rating is?
has anyone done a quiet line install? What about the milgard tuscany triple pane? I hear it is cheaper than quiet line but not sure about their stc rating.