SolarBan vs. Low-E coating

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
singlepane

SolarBan vs. Low-E coating

#1 Post by singlepane »

Put them side by side, is it going to be obviously different, appearance wise? We are planning on using SolarBan glass on most of the windows. But some of the IGU's are said to be Low-E. We don't want them to look very different if they are side by side, in our case, IGU on the top and frame windows (solarban) on the bottom. Energy saving wise, are they comparable?

Windows on Washington

Re: SolarBan vs. Low-E coating

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

SolarBan is a brand name of low-e.

There are different formulations of SolarBan that will have very slight color tint characteristics, however, it is unlike that you will be able to tell them apart with the naked eye.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

Time for you to make a decision. The details are beginning to confuse you. :lol:

First, let's define LoE glass. LoE glass is glass that has coatings of metalic oxides. Thats the generic name. Solarban IS LoE glass. It is a product made by PPG. Just as LoE-366 is a product made by Cardinal Glass. There is no benefit to having different types of LoE glass on different sashes. There can be some benefit in some cases of having different versions of LoE glass on different sides of the house. As an example Simonton offers different versions, some made by Cardinal (ETC/LoE-366) and some made by PPG (Pro Solar/Solarban) that have different SHGC's while maintaining an acceptable U-Factor. The primary purpose for this is due to the fact that in the southern part of the country you would want a low solar gain and in the northern part, a high solar gain.

For most people the same LoE version used on the entire house is fine. The only exceptions come in when there is a specific issue of a high summer heat gain on one side of the house. However the trade off is always that using a LoE version to reduce summer heat gain also reduces winter heat gain.

Go buy your windows from a reputable contractor, listen to his suggestions and get your windows installed. :lol:

utoo

#4 Post by utoo »

In re reading all the posts from this poster on both forums I am beginning to think we have a cyber fairy darting in and out with endless questions. Sometimes no response is the best response to this kind of individual who seeks attention more than advice.

singlepane

#5 Post by singlepane »

I wish I were a cyber fairy :oops: But if I'm allowed to explain - we plan to have two different companies do the IGU and frame window projects because of the price, besides some company is not willing to do IGU glass replacement. They'd rather replace the whole thing with framed picture windows. For the questions I asked, really is because we need the information, not about attention. By far I've got a ton of help from this forum. Really appreciate it.

EcoStar we did just made a decision on Milgard style line windows with a local reputable contractor. He suggested Solarban on these windows and we accepted. The IGU, we got a quote said to be Low-E glass. Hence the confusion. We locate in northern part of the country and it's hardly ever too hot. I guess LowE-366 would work better in this situation.

Thank you and WOW.

SuperiorW&D

#6 Post by SuperiorW&D »

singlepane wrote:I wish I were a cyber fairy :oops: But if I'm allowed to explain - we plan to have two different companies do the IGU and frame window projects because of the price, besides some company is not willing to do IGU glass replacement. They'd rather replace the whole thing with framed picture windows. For the questions I asked, really is because we need the information, not about attention. By far I've got a ton of help from this forum. Really appreciate it.

EcoStar we did just made a decision on Milgard style line windows with a local reputable contractor. He suggested Solarban on these windows and we accepted. The IGU, we got a quote said to be Low-E glass. Hence the confusion. We locate in northern part of the country and it's hardly ever too hot. I guess LowE-366 would work better in this situation.

Thank you and WOW.
I understand that you may have 2 different contractors performing the work, but you should use the same glass through out the entire project. Have the contractor that is going to install the IGU's for you either buy them from Milgard or give you the sizes so that the other contractor can buy them from Milgard when he orders your windows.

You want Milgard's "Sun Coat Max" glass in a configuration (north or south) that will qualify you for the 30% IRS Tax Credit.

Good luck.

utoo

#7 Post by utoo »

Be aware that Milgard warranty on a raw IGU in not their regular lifetime transferable warranty including glass breakage. They probably already know this and that is why they are dealing with 2 separate sources.

singlepane

#8 Post by singlepane »

The salesman said SunCoatMax has a tint while SunCoat doesn't. So he suggests the latter. Somehow they told me it still meet the tax credit criteria. Does it sound right to you?

singlepane

#9 Post by singlepane »

Forgot to say, another reason he put out is comparing to SunCoatMax, SunCoat has higher VLT value which probably weigh more in NorthWest area with less sun. Superior W&D, do you have something to say about it?

SuperiorW&D

#10 Post by SuperiorW&D »

singlepane wrote:Forgot to say, another reason he put out is comparing to SunCoatMax, SunCoat has higher VLT value which probably weigh more in NorthWest area with less sun. Superior W&D, do you have something to say about it?
All Low-E products have a "tint". Some more than others. I am literally running out the door for a short vacation or I would run the VLT numbers for you.

SunCoat is Cardinal 270 (pretty much the standard glass out here) and 3D Max (not suncoat max as I called it) NORTH also uses 270 glass. 3D Max SOUTH uses Cardinal 366 glass which has more tint, but not THAT much more.

North will get you a tax credit on StyleLine except for fixed windows and patio doors that must use South to qualify. If you have them I would go South on everything so they match.