Milgard u-factor

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jetsons

Milgard u-factor

#1 Post by jetsons »

I recently purchased 10 sliders and a patio door from Milgard, Tuscany model with 3D max, the best there is from Milgard. When I made the purchase I received a recipt that stated the u-factor to be .29 . The windows were delivered and the sticker on the windows say that they have a u-factor of .30 I know that the .29 is better for the southern climate where I live. I called Milgard and they say that they only come in .30 are they just telling this not to have to replace the windows? Is this a mistake on thier part? Any Milgard dealers out there please help. Thanks

canuck

Re: Milgard u-factor

#2 Post by canuck »

probably won't notice a difference between a .30 and a .29,i would'nt worry about it. sometimes windows advertise a certain u-factor but adding grills knock it up a notch for example from a .29 to a .30.
if they claimed a .28 and it was a .30 then perhaps i'd be ticked off but not in your case.

jetsons

#3 Post by jetsons »

There are no grids in the windows. I don't know how much of a difference it is but I am sure that there is. I do like to get what I paid for like everyone else. Any milgard dealers out there comment on this. Thanks.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

I think you are getting concerned over nothing. Different styles of windows and even sizes can ultimately affect the final U-factor. A .01 difference is perfectly acceptable. How upset would you have been if they came in at .28? Would you feel you should pay more since you got more than you paid for?

If they had come in at .31 I'd be with you since that would mean they aren't qualified for the tax credit.

SuperiorW&D

#5 Post by SuperiorW&D »

EcoStar Windows wrote:I think you are getting concerned over nothing. Different styles of windows and even sizes can ultimately affect the final U-factor. A .01 difference is perfectly acceptable. How upset would you have been if they came in at .28? Would you feel you should pay more since you got more than you paid for?

If they had come in at .31 I'd be with you since that would mean they aren't qualified for the tax credit.
I am a Milgard dealer and if you gave ALL of the details on one of your windows I would be happy to run the numbers for you. 3D Max North or South, etc...

That being said, I agree 100% with EcoStar, this is a non-issue. My understanding is the NFRC sticker is based on the average of tests and the tests were not necessarily done on your size window. The "real" number your window could be just about anything.