Kitchen & Bath - Casement vs. Awning vs. Double Hung

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rsjwin

Kitchen & Bath - Casement vs. Awning vs. Double Hung

#1 Post by rsjwin »

I'm looking to replace all windows in my 1950s Cape Cod in the Chicago area. We have no central air due to hot water heat, and use window units occasionally when it's hot. I'm pondering over several design choices and would appreciate some expert input on the following.

1) Kitchen Sink - 36W x 38H. Currently, we have a double hung over the kitchen sink. At 5ft. tall, it's a challenge to reach over the sink and near impossible to budge what exists. I'm considering a casement or awning for function, but have some concerns regarding view and ventilation. Casement - I've encountered some hestitation from two people providing estimates due to width of the window. Also, I think it would provide superb ventilation, but wasn't sure about the decrease in view to expect. Awning - Seems to be the preference of the two, but I'm very concerned about lost ventilation and having most of my view blocked by a window frame. Perhaps, it makes sense to stick with a double-hung and hope I can raise and lower it now and when I'm old(er)! or pursue the casement?

2) Bathroom - 24W x 46H. Currently, a double hung in a tub area. Don't really use that shower, and like the light and ventilation. However, seemed like a better design could be had and was considering using a smaller Awning window, perhaps 20-24 inches high, moved up to the top of the existing opening. Again, I'm not sure about adequate ventilation with a window that opens only 30 degrees or so. Also thinking of not using obscured glass to preserve some view and light (we're not exhibitionists, really). Maybe a double-hung could/should be used again with clear on top and obscure on bottom, and use a curtain or somesort?

Preserving ventilation is really a big deal for us. I should mention that I believe either style for either window is an acceptable choice on the exterior as each is at the rear of the home.

The remaining windows are 16 smaller double-hungs and 2 pictures. Once more question, please....

3) Full Screens - Do they really improve ventilation?

Appreciate your wisdom and time in helping me. Thank you.

Windows on Washington

Re: Kitchen & Bath - Casement vs. Awning vs. Double Hung

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you haven't given "Window4U" a call, I seriously suggest that you do so.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4298

He covers Chicago and has the best products available today.

A double hung will not really limit ventilation. There is plenty of ventilation from a double hung that is open.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Full screens do not increase ventalation they allow for more flexibility in do so.
I do not think there is any additional glass loss between a insert DH and an awning or casement.
I suggest that if you do a crank out window that u upgrade to the clearset screen available at the sink location.

SuperiorW&D

#4 Post by SuperiorW&D »

rsjwin wrote:

1) Kitchen Sink - 36W x 38H. Currently, we have a double hung over the kitchen sink. At 5ft. tall, it's a challenge to reach over the sink and near impossible to budge what exists.

2) Bathroom - 24W x 46H. Currently, a double hung in a tub area.
A casement would be the perfect window in your kitchen: Easy to open, great ventilation and allows for unobstructed views. 36" wide is no problem. We've done many 36" x 60" units over the past 15 years that have no issues.

Being that you are in Chicago I should mention one thing. Wind. That has been our biggest problem with casements. We have one customer that rents his place and renters leave the casements open wide and then the wind REMOVES the sashes from the frames. We finally replaced one of the worst culprit casements with a slider 2 years ago.

We put awnings in showers all the time. They provide plenty of ventilation. Get a brand that uses stainless steel hardware.

rsjwin

#5 Post by rsjwin »

Thank you for the replies. I think the casement will be a good choice. I'm sure there's some obstruction of view at the hinged side, but less that what the awning would be. With the awning, I anticipated that the scissors mechanism and the bottom of the frame would be directly in my line of site with the window full open. We'll have to avoid leaving the casement open, that's for sure. I'll consider a clearer screen as well.

In the small bath, perhaps there a right size awning that will allow for enough light (as there will be less than with the current double hung, yet not allow it to be hit by water.

I'm learning to the full screens for the remaining double-hungs. My assumption is that when both sashes are open, the hot air draws out the top while fresh air comes in the bottem. Is that correct?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

You ideas about convective currents around the window are okay...in theory.

Better to get some cross ventilation across the home to actually exhaust some of that hot air.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

I would keep all the windows double-hungs.The kitchen window will open a lot easier once it's replaced.I would obscure the whole bath window and leave it the size that it is.It would be a good time to replace your bathroom trim with a pvc trim as well or move it flush with the tile.I would go with full screens if you actually plan to vent your windows that way.36'' is on the wide side for a casement to me.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

totally disagree about the kitchen.
A high quality casement installed properly will be no problem and much easier to open and close.
I have installed new dh at sinks that take more force to close and lock than the replaced unit.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

The only original DH's that would be easier to open would be an old weight and pulley system that is in very good operating condition,which is rare.