Vinyl Replacement windows for mobile home.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
crownline94

Vinyl Replacement windows for mobile home.

#1 Post by crownline94 »

I'm new to this board and have questions about replacing windows in a 1980 Marlette Mobile home located in NE Oklahoma in the Grandlake area. The two I'm wanting to replace for now are slider type. Window opening sizes are 46 3/4"W X 34 3/4"H and 62 3/4"W X 40"H.
I'd like to get descent quality vinyl slider type replacement windows or another type to fit these openings.
Where is a good place to start looking and pricing replacement windows for this mobile home for the DIY'er? Thanks

Profx

#2 Post by Profx »

Crownline

Start off with Lowe's and Home Depot. Lowe's has a Pella Thermastar that you could do in that size w argon and low e for probably around $200. Alot of people talk trash on this window, but it's a sturdy window, and would be a huge improvement over the single pane aluminum windows you probably have now. Also check in your yellow pages under windows and look for distributors in your area. Look for an attractive fusion-welded window with a u-value of.30 or lower for best performance.

I'm not sure if you have vinyl siding on your home now, but if you do I'll give you a few tips.

To remove your existing windows take a level and pencil and mark 2 5/8" around the window on the siding from where the rough opening is.

Take a skill saw w/ a paneling blade and cut this line out which will expose the nailing fin making for easy removal of the old window.

After clearing the opening, insert your replacement window flush with the interior of your home. Set the window with 4-6 3" screws making sure window is square and plumb.

On the exterior place insulation all the way around the new unit. You can also use a flashing tape on the wall and over the gap around the window. Then place J-channel around the opening you cut out with the skill saw. Youre left with 2 1/2" between the "j" and youre window. Case out the exterior with a 1"x3" then cap off with pvc coil. Sealing where the Metal meets the "j" and the coil touches the window.

With youre window sitting flush with your interior wall you can now trim out the interior with a 2 1/4" casing and seal this as well. This is the number one improvement you can make on a mobile home. Hope this helps.

pinnenergy

reasonable, but good, windows

#3 Post by pinnenergy »

Silverline 8500 series are a good fit for that mobile home I beleive.

crownline94

Marquee windows by Philips

#4 Post by crownline94 »

I found a supplier for manufactured home vinyl replacement windows. They are the Marquee brand window by Phillips http://www.marqueewindows.com/
Have you ever heard of this brand, are they good quality?

Profx

#5 Post by Profx »

Crownline

They look like a descent window, they offer a new construction-style window w nailing flange which most people on this board would recommend you go with, because of the ease to seal the unit. This window will leave you needing to build extension jambs out from the new window, flush with your interior wall, and then cased out, which looks nice also. I just like a true replacement because it gives me room to play where I want to sit the window at. And most but not all new construction windows are cheaper built single hungs, with a more narrow I.G. If you can get these with low-e and argon for under $200 I'd say go for it. If not keep looking you can find descent quality at that price range.