Patio Door Replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mrtimepa

Patio Door Replacement

#1 Post by mrtimepa »

We got the following quotes to replace our patio door (standard size 72x78 white vinyl)
1. Prism by Simontron Platinum - $1875
3. Milgard - $1800
3. Alside 6100 - $1750
4. SoftLite Imperial LS 7000- $1525

We live in Chicago and we would appreciate any suggestions/recommendations for the patio door.

Thank you.

SuperiorW&D

Re: Patio Door Replacement

#2 Post by SuperiorW&D »

Something does not seem right. You say "standard", but 78" tall is not standard....and that may be why all the prices quoted seem quite high to me.

Skydawggy

#3 Post by Skydawggy »

Must be the differences in our markets. Those prices seem very low to me.

SuperiorW&D

#4 Post by SuperiorW&D »

I could install a decent standard 6.0 x 6.8 for 1/2 of those prices.....and be happy. But 6.6 is not standard and that would add 50% to cost of the door itself.

canuck

#5 Post by canuck »

they are probably 72 x 80.
they ae very good prices,in fact on the low side.

dsallen

#6 Post by dsallen »

We recently had Window4U install a Sunrise sliding patio door, along with 10 Soft-Lite Elements windows here in Champaign-Urbana, IL. The Sunrise door has Ultra U glass with Argon, and mini-blinds. It's an absolutely beautiful door, and very well engineered. Suggestion... contact Window4U here on this board, as he works in the Chicago area.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

dsallen wrote:We recently had Window4U install a Sunrise sliding patio door, along with 10 Soft-Lite Elements windows here in Champaign-Urbana, IL. The Sunrise door has Ultra U glass with Argon, and mini-blinds. It's an absolutely beautiful door, and very well engineered. Suggestion... contact Window4U here on this board, as he works in the Chicago area.
You need to call "Window4U" if you are in Chicago.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

dsallen wrote:We recently had Window4U install a Sunrise sliding patio door, along with 10 Soft-Lite Elements windows here in Champaign-Urbana, IL. The Sunrise door has Ultra U glass with Argon, and mini-blinds. It's an absolutely beautiful door, and very well engineered. Suggestion... contact Window4U here on this board, as he works in the Chicago area.
Thanks for the comment Don. The only correction is that the door does have low-e, but not argon.

canuck

#9 Post by canuck »

yeah..i don't believe you can get a door or windows with blinds between the glass and also have argon.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Window4U (IL) wrote:
Thanks for the comment Don. The only correction is that the door does have low-e, but not argon.
So you swindled Don out of his Argon.....you are and argonophite!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mrtimepa

#11 Post by mrtimepa »

I have contacted Windows4U. The door size in one of the estimates was written as 72x78 1/4.

canuck

#12 Post by canuck »

even if it is indeed 78 1/4,its very easy to just frame out the top in order to fit the smaller height.

dsallen

#13 Post by dsallen »

Sorry Dave, my mistake on the Argon in the patio door. I forgot that the patio door with mini-blinds has low-e only due to the design requirement. I guess I was thinking of the Soft-Lite Element windows a bit when I posted.

That mistake aside, the Sunrise patio door is an excellent door and should be seriously considered by all those looking for a sliding patio door.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

SuperiorW&D wrote:I could install a decent standard 6.0 x 6.8 for 1/2 of those prices.....and be happy. But 6.6 is not standard and that would add 50% to cost of the door itself.
Not to be argumentative, but at half those prices you are very close to the cost of a high quality door by itself without installation or mark-up. Those are very competitive prices.