Pulling the trigger on Simonton 5500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
GlazedAndConfuzed

Pulling the trigger on Simonton 5500

#1 Post by GlazedAndConfuzed »

Well, after much ado I have the window guy coming over to finalize the order for my windows.
16 DH Simonton 5500 Low-e windows.

I will be paying around $238 each and doing the install myself. (just to drive my wife crazy)

So expect me to post back all my installation questions. :) Actually I think I am good there.

Thanks to all who helped me decide. It is very unlike me to pay more for something like this. But My decision was made easier when I considered all the pain I could go through if I have to replace or repair these after the fact.

I will post back my review and installation experience to help some other noob. Thanks and God bless you all.

GlazedAndConfuzed

Re: Pulling the trigger on Simonton 5500

#2 Post by GlazedAndConfuzed »

Well,
I got the windows in and have installed 10 of them.
Whew, it was pretty hard doing this myself from the inside.
I am getting the hang of it and it is going well though.

Ended up getting a Dremel Multi-Max Multi-tool and using that to cut the nails and seperate the stops from the trim and frame.
This allowed me to install the windows without removing the trim at all. I will then go back and replace the stops after insulating.

Also using Great Stuff Window foam. Works great, but damn messy.

The windows are incredible. I was installing two side by side in my daughters bedroom and the sun was blazing into the room. I could not believe when I got the second window in the heat coming into the room was stopped dead in its tracks! I was sceptical about the tangible benefits to the low-e etc, but man I am a believer! AMEN!

Anyway, if any DIYers have questions I will try to help.

Thanks to this forum for helping me make a great choice for my windows.

jollyroger

#3 Post by jollyroger »

I am interested in the 5500 series myself and i am waiting on an estimate. That $238 sounds reasonable. Could you tell me the specs you went with(glass package, spacer, spacer thickness, etc) I have requested an estimate for the glass package that will get me the tax rebate, i think the lowe 366 maybe. 1" spacer with the supercept spacer. Grids Between the glass, Full Screen, Argon fill. I am getting mine installed just because i know nothing about installing windows. For $125 a window i guess that is not bad. They will be wrapped and the old windows will be hauled off as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

canuck

#4 Post by canuck »

$125 for an install with wrapping is an extremely good price. if the install is done correctly,you hit a home run.

GlazedAndConfuzed

#5 Post by GlazedAndConfuzed »

jollyroger wrote:I am interested in the 5500 series myself and i am waiting on an estimate. That $238 sounds reasonable. Could you tell me the specs you went with(glass package, spacer, spacer thickness, etc) I have requested an estimate for the glass package that will get me the tax rebate, i think the lowe 366 maybe. 1" spacer with the supercept spacer. Grids Between the glass, Full Screen, Argon fill. I am getting mine installed just because i know nothing about installing windows. For $125 a window i guess that is not bad. They will be wrapped and the old windows will be hauled off as well. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
That sounds like the same glass I have.
I guarantee you'll love the windows.
The price you have is really good. I have already spent around $400 in materials and tools to do it myself.
Not to mention the hassle of making mistakes along the way.

andra

#6 Post by andra »

I just had simonton 5500 windows installed yesterday they put in 4 wrong ones because it was 9 over 9 grids not 6 over 6 and another window has 2 white dots in between the glass they suppose to replace thoose but the windows seem to have a green tint to them especially when you look at them from the outside so it makes the white grids look green is this normal because of the coating ?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

andra wrote:I just had simonton 5500 windows installed yesterday they put in 4 wrong ones because it was 9 over 9 grids not 6 over 6 and another window has 2 white dots in between the glass they suppose to replace thoose but the windows seem to have a green tint to them especially when you look at them from the outside so it makes the white grids look green is this normal because of the coating ?

Standard Low-e will have a greenish hue.

GlazedAndConfuzed

#8 Post by GlazedAndConfuzed »

I was concerned about the tint after seeing other windows that seemed really darkly tinted. But the Simonton Low-e 366 tint is not bad. I have two of them installed next to a standard no-tint bay window and you cant even tell the difference.

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

GlazedAndConfuzed wrote:I was concerned about the tint after seeing other windows that seemed really darkly tinted. But the Simonton Low-e 366 tint is not bad. I have two of them installed next to a standard no-tint bay window and you cant even tell the difference.

I've made the point before that when the window is actually installed, it doesn't look too dark. It has something to do with the reflection of light when the window is exposed to the same amount on both sides as opposed to being installed in the opening with different light. I always open the front door or a large window to show the customer that it's really not that different.

Maybe Oberon caould explain why.