Heat lamp trick?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
piner

Heat lamp trick?

#1 Post by piner »

My salesman from American Home Design in Nashville demonstrated the efeciency of their windows with a heat lamp. Why does 'windowrep' call it "the old heat lamp trick?"

E-Z

#2 Post by E-Z »

I wouldn't call it a trick as much as one of the tools to demonstrate the advantages of having glass with Loe or Loe2 on your windows. I use it if i get a hands on kind of customer but i do not use it as a rule of thumb. Not that it isn't a good tool...it is a trick if you mislead people into thinking that your window is the only one that stops heat transfer. For example i like to play with the guys that have their booths outside your Home Depots or Lowe's i pretend i am an unsuspecting customer and one day this guy tells me here feel this put you hand on this side of the glass, this is double strength glass with superspacer and loe2 and he put the heat lamp on the other side and sure enough i felt the heat....now i know that he was full of %$#@ because there is no way that is the case but then he said now check our new space age something or the other glass and what do you know i didn't felt nothing.
I left by telling him " Your full of it...i am a window contractor" he just had a "busted" look on his face.
Now thats a TRICK my friend misinformation not the tool because is all up to the use you give it.

Hope to clear your doubts.

E-z

windowrep

#3 Post by windowrep »

thanks e-z
i have to run so his will be very brief. 2 panes of glass ,argon ,a low-e coating or two, and a warm edge spacer. the heat lamp "trick" will prduce the same results. he did not demonstrate the energy effiecency of your windows, he demonstrated the heat transfer of the glass pack or ig. which will be the same as 90% of igs sold today. the energy efficency of the window is measured by u factor. hope that makes sense, kind of in a hurry. i would ask the salesman after the heat lamp test. "thank you for the demonstration, now please show me what makes your window better than everyone else's? good luck ,sorry so sloppy

piner

#4 Post by piner »

No apology necessary... Thanks E-Z and windowrep for the clarification. I have more questions but will ask in a new thread.

FenEx

#5 Post by FenEx »

The heat lamp demonstration helps some consumers feel the difference of glass performance, but the way it's presented can be deceiving. The distance of the bulb to the glass and the angle make a considerable difference. For homeshows and showrooms I set up three major brand sashes side by side with NFRC and manufacturer labels attached. Using a digital noncontact thermometer I show that all three bulbs are the same temp and the same distance from the glass. On some units I get temperature differences of up to 40% from double-pane/Low-E/Argon to triple-pane/dbl-Low-E/Krypton. It also allows me to show edge of glass conductivity temps for the different spacers used. It goes with out saying that the other window companies which are always nearby at the shows aren't too pleased when I use their brand for the comparison... lol. At one show last year we used Sears' window as one of the tested models and they happened to be directly across from the booth. They actually asked us to pick on someone else's window. <efg>

S Belliveau

Re: Heat lamp trick?

#6 Post by S Belliveau »

This is a very old thread. I hope some of you will read this.

I have a science show and I am looking for a demonstration like the heat lamp to show energy efficiant windows. Can I test the windows with infered thermometers and a standard heat lamp from a hardware store. Do any of you folks have any other tips on what might be a good demostration. This will be for school age students most of the time.

Thanks

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

Just make sure all the little kiddies wear sunglasses with UV block.

S Belliveau

#8 Post by S Belliveau »

Funny UV joke

Do any of you use the infered thermometers with your demos?