Help! Shopping for windows in MI.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kellgate

Help! Shopping for windows in MI.

#1 Post by kellgate »

Greetings everyone. My wife and I are looking at replacing 18 windows in our 95 year old two story house.
We live in Michigan as well. We are looking to spend around 250 per window or less. We thought we had
decided on the pella brand from lowes, as the salesman was willing to match price and negotiate to close
deal. Upon reading the board I see these are not popular and well made windows.
The wife is busting my you know whats to make a decision. If anyone could offer any insight as
to the quality, first of the pellas and then, what would be a comparable window in the price range.
Many thanks to everyone for helping.

Lost in michigan,
Kellgate

Windows on Washington

Re: Help! Shopping for windows in MI.

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you plan on spending $250 per opening, I would suggest that you not spend that money and upgrade your attic insulation or put on storm windows.

$250 per opening, especially when you figure in EPA RRP charges, will get you a bottom barrel product that will not hold up very well in the long run.

kellgate

#3 Post by kellgate »

Really now. We have been to three different shops, menards, lowes and a local shop called Fox brothers.
We have recieved quotes on three different brands, all with lifetime warranties, all around are
target price range. And yet you say we are better off to insulate the attic and put the storms back in? Your response is laughable and not helpful. We, of course, realize there are far better products out there for far
more money, and my guess is, much greater profit margins for the dealers selling them, which might be why you responded
that way.
We know what were are getting, we just want to get the best in that category.
Help gang, I have seen some very inteligent posters here.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am sorry you took offense to my reply. It was not intended to be insulting and your read into is incorrect.

At $250 per installed opening, you are going to get a sub-standard product. That is not an opinion, that is a fact. You home is 95 years old and has lead paint in it. You are going to have to address the lead paint and EPA compliant RRP charges which will usually range between an additional $40 - $75 per window.

Now, assuming the extra removal charges, you are are at a price point of $210 and are even more limited in your product choices.

You never identified the motivation of the window replacement. If you are concerned about your energy bills, the reality of the situation is that you will get more efficiency improvement bang for the buck with storm windows (with Low-e) and attic insulation as compared to a cheaply made vinyl replacement window.

As evidenced by your reply, that was not the answer you were looking for but it is the truth.

kellgate

#5 Post by kellgate »

Greetings again. Thank you for your response, and based on that, you are correct,
I did misread. The cost of the windows does not include installation. We have
someone not affiliated with the retailer working for us. So, based on just the price
of the windows alone, not including the installation and still realizing that these
are not the best windows we can get, what options or suggestions might
you now have.
And once again thank you for replying and clarifying your response.

kellgate

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

Is your installer EPA Certified for lead paint containment under the RRP rules? If so, how much more does that add to the installation?

JamieM

#7 Post by JamieM »

As a consumer on a limited budget who's spent all summer shopping for windows and reviewing this board very thoroughly, I would suggest the Reliabilt 3500 from Lowe's. I was quoted double hungs(ETC qualified) in the $250 price range in Iowa. It's not the best window out there but maybe the best available in your price range. If I recall, it's the same as an Atrium 8700 and maybe in the mid-range of products available but definitely better than the Pella @ Lowes & American Craftsman @ Home Depot.

If you can expand your budget into the $325 range you might be able to find a dealer willing to sell Simonton Prism Platinum as well which is on the higher end of the product spectrum.

canuck

#8 Post by canuck »

Sunrise is made in Michigan and i would strongly suggest you consider their products. very good window and a very good company.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

You will likely have a problem finding a Sunrise window that will be sold to you directly and at that price point.

It is a very good window.

You might want to check local shops and see if there is a Simonton offering that fits your budget as they are pretty widely available.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

what are the options you are choosing for your windows?That price seems high for materials unless you are piling on the options.

canuck

#11 Post by canuck »

i was assuming you would increase your budget for a sunrise. quality will certainly cause you to increase your budget. with your price range ,you will need to reduce your expectations as far as quality is concerned.