Somewhat lost in window maze

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Wayne

Somewhat lost in window maze

#1 Post by Wayne »

T-minus 70 days or so to Dec.31. Looking to replace 2 Bow windows circa 1956 with Bay windows that meet the necessary standard for the tax credit...Double pane low-e Argon seems fine.
Been quoted by Window World, Window Depot, Alco and 2 local contractors. Everyone has different windows... wow talk about selection.
My wife prefers wood...But it is a bit out of our league...WEATHERSHIELD and ANDERSON windows came it at $8300 for the job.
Downgrade to a STARMARK composite and price came in at $7200 for the job. Vinyls like Viwinco came in at $6200 for the job.
WIndow Depot came in lowest at $5600 for their gold series vinyl. After reading all the posts about poor window quality and installers from the Wizards, Worlds, Depots it seems like I should go with a local contractor. So here is my question. Are my concerns justified with the discounters or not and what is a reasonable price to spend for this type of job (60 x 90 openings)? Vinyl, Composite or wood.
Thanks in advance for any direction....

HomeSealed

Re: Somewhat lost in window maze

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Your prices seem pretty reasonable, and yes, the concerns on the discount firms are very valid. There are several threads with some good info floating around here regarding this subject... The only thing that I would add is that going with a composite like Starmark or a high end vinyl would NOT be a downgrade at all. The only real benefit of a full wood window is appearance. Vinyl, fiberglass, and composites will all offer better performance, warranty, longevity, and value .

canuck

#3 Post by canuck »

home owners are misinformed and somehow think vinyl is a cheap alternative to wood. that may have been true years ago and to a certian extent is still is. unless of course ,you are talking about a premium vinyl window in which case is much more energy efficient than a wood window and in some cases more structurally sound. Starmark is considered a high end window

ZAPAS

#4 Post by ZAPAS »

I think that most important thing (especially with bay window) is to choose experienced contractor for your installation.
I will not comment high or low end of these windows. Question is what you trying to accomplished with this project?
You can get better price with wood windows, just keep looking.
Any way, where are you located?

ZAPAS

#5 Post by ZAPAS »

I think that most important thing (especially with bay window) is to choose experienced contractor for your installation.
I will not comment high or low end of these windows. Question is what you trying to accomplished with this project?
You can get better price with wood windows, just keep looking.
Any way, where are you located?

canuck

#6 Post by canuck »

what does location have to do with it?

Wayne

#7 Post by Wayne »

Located in Philadelphia suburbs.....
The answers were well received. The Viwinco solution...good or bad? We like the company that would install those....
Thanks again for your input...

canuck

#8 Post by canuck »

Wayne
if you want a quality window you need to look other than Viwinco. some high quality windows available in your area would be gorell, soft lite, sunrise,okna,and depending on which series,the simonton.

ZAPAS

#9 Post by ZAPAS »

Canuck, You forgot name American Jewel as one of high quality windows as well.

canuck

#10 Post by canuck »

if i mentioned american jewel,i would be giving him bad advice thats why i named some high quality window brands. if american jewel is such a good window why are you here trying to convince everyone that it is? if it was in fact good,everyone would already know it especially since its been around for a long time. we only install quality which is why american jewel is out of the question.

Skydawggy

#11 Post by Skydawggy »

Zapas

Given the history of American Jewell, you can't just jump in here and expect the Pros on here to start recommending them.

PerhapsAJ has improved but we don't know that. We really don't know anything about you either.

To be fair, I have contacted A.J. and requested info. I will take a look, do some research and report my opinion as soon as I can.

Fair enough?

buddy110

#12 Post by buddy110 »

Wayne wrote:Located in Philadelphia suburbs.....
The answers were well received. The Viwinco solution...good or bad? We like the company that would install those....
Thanks again for your input...
There's a pro here by the name of Anthony. He's in your area and can help you. He has top quaility products and services
You can find him here.viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4426
Just hit the "get a quote" button under his name

misarom

#13 Post by misarom »

Anthony recently installed my windows, all 28 of them. He's honest and incredibly knowledgable. I got a high quality window at a great price. Does his own installations with a small crew and it is truly a beautiful job. Recommend him most highly.

Skydawggy

#14 Post by Skydawggy »

ZAPAS wrote:EcoStarWindows,
What you mean by history of American Jewel. Can you put some light in your statement?

I mean in the past there have been a few Pros on here that stopped using AJ due to flimsy vinyl. Argue about it all you want, that's what more than one Pro has said. If you think you are going to jump on here and change anyones perspective overnight, you are sadly mistaken. Those of us who have been posting on here for years have no idea who you are either. That's not a knock on you but understand that you don't have a history of credibility here yet so we have not read you long enough to make a judgement as to whether you are truely here to help consumers or just to push AJ. At this point, it seems the latter. You will only change our perceptions through credibility and a balanced approach to your advice.

FWIW I sent AJ an email last Monday requesting information on their windows so I could make an updated and fair evaluation. I even ask if they would set up a factory tour for me as I might be interested in becoming a dealer. I have yet to be contacted. At this point, I remain unimpressed. I have to wonder if they ignore customers this way. Other window companies I have contacted in the past usually get back to me within 24 hours. I chalk this up to another bit of data on AJ.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1 to Sky's comments.
THX mrosa