Gorell windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
BettyinMD

Gorell windows

#1 Post by BettyinMD »

The 5100 series has a slimmer vinyl so there is more glass area. Is this more likely to cause a frame or seal failure?

Skydawggy

Re: Gorell windows

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

No.

canuck

#3 Post by canuck »

the frame has NOTHING to do with seal failure. it comes down to the spacer and the way the glass is sealed.

fenestrationman

#4 Post by fenestrationman »

Another note. Depending on the type if IG spacer and sealant used, it is very important that the the low e is 'edge deleted'. If the low e is exposed to moisture, the metallic nature of the coating will begin to oxidize, contributing to glass failure.
Gorell uses this process.

canuck

#5 Post by canuck »

i agree,edge deletion is important. Gorell is one of only a few companies that engage in it. Schuco was big on edge deletion back in the day.

buddy110

#6 Post by buddy110 »

Actually almost all companies use it

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

canuck wrote:i agree,edge deletion is important. Gorell is one of only a few companies that engage in it.
Huh??

Which companies DON'T use edge deletion?

I believe Edgetech now requires edge deletion as part of their licensing agreement.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I believe that most do... I even had a Pella rep pitching me the other day on how they edge delete their vinyl windows. :roll:

fenestrationman

#9 Post by fenestrationman »

Maybe the question should be asked of the manufacturers that say edge deletion is not a necessary step - do they use soft or hard coat low e?

canuck

#10 Post by canuck »

Simonton do NOT edge delete. they will edge delete only on the west coast if they are using lowE 366. other than that,they do not. harvey does not edge delete either.

shamu

#11 Post by shamu »

My memory may be wrong, but I seem to remember a PPG rep. telling me that their low-E did not need to be edge deleted. This would have been a while back when they developed the first Solarban low-E.