WINDOW COSTS

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
COASTERMAN

WINDOW COSTS

#1 Post by COASTERMAN »

I have been quoted a price of $5000 for 5 Certainteed Bryn Mar II windows. Two are approx 44 by 48 inches and the three remaining are appox 36 by 24 inches. These seems quite high to me. Any help/advice will be appreciated. Thanks

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

1000 a window?? For Bryn Mars??? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Yeah, that's way high, I'd say

trojanman

#3 Post by trojanman »

OK I know it's a late reply, but I have a family friend in the business. He says cost on Bryn Mawr II is about $3.30 per United Inch.

This means his material cost is around $1200. A "reasonable" 35% markup would bring the cost to $1850. Add in $200 for shipping, $500 for installation, and $750 for salesman's commission, and you SHOULD be paying $3300 on the high end.

windowmannjny

#4 Post by windowmannjny »

$750. 00 for salesmans commission...tell me where i sign up

FenEx

#5 Post by FenEx »

LMAO... I was gonna say the same thing! Going rate is only about 10%... maybe more or less depending on greed or company benefits that may be provided. If your sales rep treats you well... treat them them well in return.

trojanman

#6 Post by trojanman »

The commission rate I posted is based off of information from my friend (Southern California).

He told me an average house job (10-15 windows) gets around $1000-$1500.

Since this is a smaller job, I just guessed at the commission.

homeowner

#7 Post by homeowner »

if this is true, who got this profit? my neighbor had single hung champion installed. i later visited with champion for the same windows upgraded to double hung. i got them $3k cheaper but didnt buy, a 3rd neighbor did. now neighbor 1 is crazy! we all have the same basic house built at same time. same 13 windows. she paid $3k more for less windows. someone made 3 grand. i know who did. btw. i didnt know she was doing this, she is old, asked the price and paid. what a shame. no. what a crime. she is trying to get an adjustment. think she'll have any luck?

Sabina

#8 Post by Sabina »

[quote="homeowner"] she paid $3k more for less windows. i didnt know she was doing this, she is old, asked the price and paid. what a shame. no. what a crime. she is trying to get an adjustment. [/quote]

So sad. That's why it's important to get several bids, do some research on your own, and start asking knowledgeable and objective third parties before signing on the dotted line. The bids I received ranged from $11,000 to $38,000 (yipes!). Prior to receiving the first 2 bids, I had no knowledge of the different levels of window quality available. The first bid (which was a lot lower) was on a lower quality window than the 2nd bid, which was a lot higher. I realized I needed to get comparison bids on the same "category-level" of windows because if I didn't, I was comparing "apples with oranges". I have to admit that the $38,000 bid was outrageous and this "original" bid eventually came down to $17,000 (less than half!).

Also, if the Sales Rep tries to make you sign today and gives you a choice of "now or never" - choose "never" if you really need time to compare and think about it. Replacement windows are a big investment, and there are many window companies out there that want your business, as I am finding out.

homeowner

#9 Post by homeowner »

thats whats wrong. this lady isnt likely to do these things. she never leaves her house. its not that she shouldnt let this happen, but rather, the industry not do this. you know, people compare this to car buying, i sold cars once. my boss was a snake. but i think if a salesman came in yukking it up about getting some old lady to make a rediculous mistake, he would have made him give it back. not as many windows are sold as cars, and people like my neighbor dont tell others or get the feedback one would for making a terrible car deal. window salesmen goota eat too.

windowrep

#10 Post by windowrep »

i could tell you alot of stories too. it doesn't mean i paint everyone with the same brush. it unfortunatly happens in every industry everyday. it just so happens you don't have a board like this one for all the other industries to try and avoid this type of situation. all contributers here are trying to advance the industry and inform consumers.