Paradigm and pricing in Boston

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
hc_mass

Paradigm and pricing in Boston

#1 Post by hc_mass »

Hi all,

I'm in Weymouth, a suburb south of Boston. I have an estimate from a guy who I trust in terms of his knowledge and quality of craftsmanship (based on other people I know who have "vetted" him), but his price seems waaaay out of bounds. So, I'd like to confirm that I'm not being unrealistic in my price expectations.

He gave us 4 window options, with the further option of buying replacement or new. Given that we plan to remain in the house until we become old and decrepit, he recommended that we put new windows in.

Of the options he gave (from lowest to highest: Paradigm, Andersen, Marvin, and Serious), we are thinking of going with new Paradigm windows (we like vinyl). Were are replacing 5 (or 7 depending how you count) windows: 3 standard-size double hung, 1 wider double hung, and 1 picture window (+ 2 narrow double-hungs flanking picture window) that we want to replace with 3 double hungs. His quote is about $5200 for new windows ($4500 for the replacement window option).

I certainly don't mind sinking some money into quality windows, installed correctly. But it seems this is quite high, given what I've been able to get searching this forum. Is this estimate way out of bounds, or just the upper end of reasonable?

If I were to go with another installer, how would Sunrise windows stack up against Paradigm, and can you recommend companies who do work in my area? (many people here seem impressed with Sunrise, that's why I ask).

Thanks to the veterans here who take the time to help people like myself. :mrgreen: This replacement window market seems impossibly confusing :|

Skydawggy

Re: Paradigm and pricing in Boston

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

It's difficult to determine whether that's a reasonable price because you haven't provided any details and without seeing the job and knowing what's involved in removing your existing windows and installing the new ones. I've never been very impressed with Paradigm. Sunrise is a better quality windows IMO. Why don't you contact a few other window dealers, have them out to give you an estimate and listen to what they have to say?

hc_mass

#3 Post by hc_mass »

Thanks EcoStar.

I've got someone coming out tonight to look at the job, and a call into another person. Just thought I'd get feedback from this forum too, because I can trust this information more since no one here has a vested interest.

The house (a Cape) was built in 1953, it looks like a straightforward job...no major obstacles to get at/to the windows, it's a pretty "standard" house.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

You are going to have to deal with the lead paint issue. That changes the complexity and price of the install.

hc_mass

#5 Post by hc_mass »

Another installer just came out, said he charges $450/window for Simonton Reflections, so that's $3150, compared to $4650 from the other guy for Paradigm. I'll poke around here now for info on that make (Simonton).

He didn't mention anything about lead paint (the trim isn't painted it's stained, and we want to replace it, because it's from the 50s, and 60s, and probably 70s)

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

You still are required by law to have it tested for lead whether you think it does or not. If the contractor didn't mention anything about it then you are dealing with the wrong contractor. If he is willing to ignore a Federal Law like lead paint containment, he is also likely willing to ignore other building codes like egress. Not the type of contractor I'd be comfortable with.

jackiec

#7 Post by jackiec »

We went through the replacement window process about a year ago. We live 20 mins north of you. For vinyl, we narrowed the choices to Soft-Lite, Okna and Simonton. Okna has a composite window from a subdivision co called Starmark. We went with it and have been very happy with the choice. Price came out to $650 w/grids. The top vinyls were around $600 which I'm sure we would have been happy with but once we saw the Starmark 900, the choice was easy. Good luck.