Advice needed: Hullco(Sunrise Verde) vs Champion vs who??.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Garlyn

Advice needed: Hullco(Sunrise Verde) vs Champion vs who??.

#1 Post by Garlyn »

I've spent several weeks looking over this site regarding replacement windows, and it seems there are some crumby windows for the price out there, and no Soft-lite or Okna Dealer in my area. I need some advice, and I need UV protection for my Daughter.

Area: Chattanooga TN (South, 2 hours north of Atlanta).
Conditions: Daughter has albinism (is an albino) so UV ratings matter to us since she can only burn and never tan.
Grids: All Quotes include Grids Colonial style.
Low-E: All quotes include Low-e
installed: All prices include installation using "spray/injected" foam around the frame.

Hullco Branded - Sunrise Verde w/Solar12:
23 windows - $15,580

Hullco - Sunrise Branded Essentials:
23 windows - $12,000

Champion w/comfort365:
21 windows - $14,743

Window World 6000:
21 windows - $8599

Moss #3500 local inst:
17 windows - $11,745

One windows is large and low to the ground so requires tempered glass. Also the drop to 21 windows is because we decided not to replace garage windows.

From what I've read here it seems Okna 500 and Soft-lite Imperial LS are the good ones, and Sunrise Verde isn't bad. Windows World I should just expect drafts. Moss, I don't recall seeing.

I just don't see many options in my area. Our current windows are Metal non-hung windows that only slide. Very drafty and were abused by previous owners (metal sill/pocket bent from electrical cords etc).

Any advice or expertise is appreciated, one sales pitch said "Who cares about R-rating the frame when you have so much glass it won't really matter". Not sure what to think of that. I'm worried if I find Soft-lite or Okna the installation may be horrible and negate the positive side of a new window purchase.

Thanks - Lost in the sea of information.

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Advice needed: Hullco(Sunrise Verde) vs Champion vs who??.

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I don't know where you read that the Sunrise Verde is just OK. It is one of the top performing windows available and certainly is every bit as good a window as the Okna 500 and the Softlite L/S. Many would say it a better window aesthetically.

Delaware Mike

#3 Post by Delaware Mike »

I think that the Verde is a very nice product. As much as I like the Imperial LS which is a product that I carry and install often, I find that many times homeowners prefer the sleek look and careful attention to detail that is engineered with the Sunrise products.

Garlyn

#4 Post by Garlyn »

EcoStar: Just reading it seems like compared to the Okna the Okna was a better window. I didn't see many comparisons to the Verde other than Okna. So maybe it was just because the Verde(sunrise top of the line) is often competing with a Okna 500.

I'm very happy to hear the Verde is a good window, with my current options it is the one I was leaning towards. Does anyone know anything about the U/V and the Solar12?

Hullco said since we have a special situation they might be able to place the Verde glass in an essential frame, but it would only drop the price a few thousand dollars. Is it worth it?

also, do the prices seem out of whack or okay? I know it is difficult but sometimes quotes are just blatant.

EcoStar Remodeling

#5 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Garlyn wrote:EcoStar: Just reading it seems like compared to the Okna the Okna was a better window. I didn't see many comparisons to the Verde other than Okna. So maybe it was just because the Verde(sunrise top of the line) is often competing with a Okna 500.

I'm very happy to hear the Verde is a good window, with my current options it is the one I was leaning towards. Does anyone know anything about the U/V and the Solar12?

Hullco said since we have a special situation they might be able to place the Verde glass in an essential frame, but it would only drop the price a few thousand dollars. Is it worth it?

also, do the prices seem out of whack or okay? I know it is difficult but sometimes quotes are just blatant.

Again, I don't know where you got the impression the Verde wasn't every bit as good as the Okna 500 with the exception that there are a lot of Okna dealers on this site and they like to promote the brands they carry. A window with a DP50, a U-factor of .26 with the Solar plus 12 glass, a condesation resistance rating of .64 and an air infiltration rating of .04 is a world class window by anyone's standard.

You are dropping into another class of window with the Essentials. However, it is one of the best budget windows available.

Garlyn

#6 Post by Garlyn »

You convinced me Sunrise is a good window.

Is the price difference from Window world worth it?

EcoStar Remodeling

#7 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

To ensure you are getting the best value for your money, I would recommend you get several estimates for any window you are considering. I would also recommend you ask questions about the installation. I would never assume that the only differences between different products was strictly based on the quality of the window only. I would also recommend getting referrals of previous customers which would include their address. I would then visit the jobsite (with the homeowners permission) and look at the install to see of it looks professional. I would ask for references for jobs that were done many years ago and also at least one very recent on that the specific installer who will work on your home has installed. This is a lot of money and I would want to be sure I was getting the greatest value for what I am spending if I were you.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The solar 12 is a 95% UV block.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sunrise Verde is a very solid window.