Pella Thermastar v. Reliabilt 7000

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
MJB

Pella Thermastar v. Reliabilt 7000

#1 Post by MJB »

I went to Lowes last night to look at the Pella Thermastar. The sales associate tried to sell me on the Reliabilt 7000. She claimed they were "much better" windows. Anyone have an opinion on either of these two windows. I have also looked at the Simonton windows Home Depot installs (as I have mentioned in a previous post). I would be very curious to hear opinions and comparisons of the three.

Thank you very much for any insight you can provide.

danpal

#2 Post by danpal »

I just recently purchase Reliabilt windows from Lowes and I have to say that the quality control is awful. I purchased 3 large windows one of which was a 3 way window ( 3 windows mulled together). The 3 way window had a large groove dug out of it that ran the length of the window. I didn't notice this until I had started to install it. The other two windows were shipped with screens that were torn. The damaged 3 way window was finally replaced although the "rush" job took longer than the original order. I'm still waiting for the replacement screens which I returned last September. I spoke to a sales person at Lowes who let me know that they consider Reliabilt windows to be junk. Needless to say, I will never order Reliabilt windows again and am quite disappointed in Lowes for allowing their supplier to produce such a low quality product.

Dan

HipKat

#3 Post by HipKat »

First off, Home depot doesn't "install" windows.
Second, Home Depot and Lowes are the K-mart of the home improvement industry.

thd50

Re: Pella Thermastar v. Reliabilt 7000

#4 Post by thd50 »

MJB wrote:I went to Lowes last night to look at the Pella Thermastar. The sales associate tried to sell me on the Reliabilt 7000. She claimed they were "much better" windows. Anyone have an opinion on either of these two windows. I have also looked at the Simonton windows Home Depot installs (as I have mentioned in a previous post). I would be very curious to hear opinions and comparisons of the three.

Thank you very much for any insight you can provide.
Pella bought out two failing window companies and pasted their name (which they pump millions into advertising).

You are not quite getting what you paid for at the Blue Box either:

1. Referred installers with one year warranty on the craftsmanship -- (as long as the installer does not retire, quit or win the lottery)

2. A surprise after charge (if you would like to have warranty - it will be per window fee).

3. If ever transfer on the warranty - reach into your pocket again for EACH window

Those windows are a POS.

They use strings (block and tackle system) - worked great for the egyptions - yet technology has advanced since then.

This B/T system would also require an additional 1/8" spacing on each side of the window sash to operate - allowing air/water infiltration.

...and worse yet - the sashes may not be 4-point simultaneous fusion weld - may be 2 pt weld and 2-pt mechanical fastening of the sash - this leave you with a window that is not much more than a time bomb as that is weak at best.

don't economize on your home - economize on a car that you are disposing of in a couple years... its proven - buy quality and save.

Buy from a company that will be in business (6 weeks, 6 months or even 6 years from now) and one who will stand behind the warranty - not have price/discount schemes or high pressure sales tactics in the home. You know who to call back now.

Good luck on the project.

Ck