Double or Triple Pane for sound reduction?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
CB_Windows

Double or Triple Pane for sound reduction?

#1 Post by CB_Windows »

Truth be told one of the main reasons my wife and I want to replace the windows in our house is due to noise. The neighborhood itself isn't noisy, I just happen to live in a spot where my yard touches five others. Four of those houses have one or more large outside dogs that bark. Once one of them gets going the rest of them start. Sucks when you are trying to get to sleep or get woken up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep.

I'm in the process of getting quotes and am getting mixed opinions on going with a triple pane for noise reduction. I have friends that are dead set on suggesting triple pane windows in my situation. A few of the people quoting have suggested the return in reduction of a triple pane versus a double pane might not be worth it. They suggest that going from my old single pane aluminum windows to a quality vinyl double pane will be remarkable and that a triple pane, while better, is not enough to warrant the premium.

Most have suggested going with a double pane and LoE-366 glass with argon fill. The idea is that it is a good balance between noise reduction, efficiency, and cost.

The move to triple pane appears to add roughly a $600-700 premium. Not an insignificant amount, but not enough that I couldn't swing it in the long run.

Ultimately I realize the answer is simple: Pay the extra for triple pane an know I've done everything I could.

The problem is that I also like to feel that I manage my money wisely. I don't want to throw money at a problem that it won't fix.

Does anyone here have experience with examples of noise rduction in double versus triple pane windows?

Many thanks! :)

Skydawggy

Re: Double or Triple Pane for sound reduction?

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Going from DP to TP will not net any measureable difference in sound reduction. Replacing your existing windows with DP will make a difference but upgrading to TP simply for sound reduction over a DP is a waste of money. The best option is to go with laminated glass on a DP window unless you want better energy efficiency AND sound reduction. Then go with a TP with laminated glass.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

EcoStar Windows wrote:Going from DP to TP will not net any measureable difference in sound reduction. Replacing your existing windows with DP will make a difference but upgrading to TP simply for sound reduction over a DP is a waste of money. The best option is to go with laminated glass on a DP window unless you want better energy efficiency AND sound reduction. Then go with a TP with laminated glass.
+1

Triple pane, as most often utilized, is no improvement and can actually be worse than good double pane.

Offset glazing or laminated glass are your two best options prior to a dedicated STC window.

CB_Windows

#4 Post by CB_Windows »

Thanks!

That is money in the bank.

Making my decision in the next couple of days. Hopefully I won't come up with any more questions.