Fair Price for Gorell Thermal Master III & related quest

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Rob

Fair Price for Gorell Thermal Master III & related quest

#1 Post by Rob »

I'm sorry, it seems like I'm asking a slightly different flavor of the same commonly asked question, but I find that I can't infer the answer to my question based on the answers to others (different styles, sizes), so...
  • * Is $25,000 a fair price for 36 installed Thermal Master III windows, 30*62 each (or an average of $694/window)?
    * Do I really need triple-pane windows in Atlanta?
    * Can Thermal Master III be based on 5100, 5200 or 5300 series, or can I infer the series based on it being Thermal Master III? Or is Thermal Master III none of the above? (It's really hard to tell what the difference is between 5100, 5200 and 5300 from the Gorell web site; the descriptions for each is pretty much the same.)
    * Is it true that prices are going up 8% in early January?
Many thanks in advance!

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

I can answer a few of your questions; Hell no, you do not need triple pane windows in Atlanta, and I can pretty much assure you that there is no industry wide imminent price increase of a set percentage that will be done by the over 300 different manufacturers out there and all their distributors.
Are price increases imminent? well, yeah, at some point, but those are set by the company, not the industry.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Thermal Master III is a glass package, not a window series. It can be had in any of Gorell windows you mentioned.
To answer your question about the differences between the 5100, 5200, and 5300, there is a definite difference in quality. The 5300 is much nicer than the low end 5100.
The 5200 I have never seen. My Gorell factory rep didn't call on me for over 2 years, so I missed it when it came out.

JScott

#4 Post by JScott »

I would not think that in Atlanta you would need triple pane glass. The option is about $190 per unit.

Due to the cost being more than the fiberglass Infinity window from Marvin we are discontinuing our Gorell line altogether. I do like the window, the company and the people, not the price, for vinyl.

Rob

Thanks for the responses!

#5 Post by Rob »

All -- thank you very much for chiming in... I appreciate it! May I ask what price I should be targeting for a double-paned, double-hung vinyl 36"*60" window? (Figure "medium" quality, if that helps -- not the best, not the cheapest.) I'm inferring that ~$500 is about right. You guys are great for taking the time to field questions.

I called Gorell to check on the purported 8% January increase and haven't heard back. Will post when I do.

Bill

#6 Post by Bill »

I wouldn’t be so fast to tell him he does not need triple pane in Atlanta. Triple pane with double low-e & Krypton does a great job when the summer heat is blazing. I have sold some triple pane windows in New Jersey when the homeowners primary concern was summer heat build up due to direct sun exposure.

The Simonton Impressions dealer in Atlanta sells a good amount of triple pane down there to heavy users of air conditioning. Electric is expensive

I saw the Gorell line last week for the first time and I would not use the 5100 or 5200 line and I was expecting more from the 5300; not a bad window but I was expecting better.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

HipKat

#7 Post by HipKat »

I don't believe that the performance of a triple pane krypton, vs double pane argon vs triple argon for that matter is so very different that you'd need to sell a much more expensive window. Obviously, lowE is going to help mucho with solar heat gain, but in that I've never seen a triple pane window that had lowE glass as the center pane, it seems like an uneccesssary expense.