What brand of windows should I definitely AVOID?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
windowxpertsplus

Re: What brand of windows should I definitely AVOID?

#61 Post by windowxpertsplus »

at this point, i would really try to call Alside direct and i am sure that a field representative would come to your home as a courtesy and address the problem.

Skydawggy

#62 Post by Skydawggy »

So now, because the installer had surgury on his little finger the entire business grinds to a halt?

I've said this before and I will say it again, this company is jerking you around and trying to wear you down.

dummy

#63 Post by dummy »

Yes you have said that and I agree with you. Still no reply from the salesman/owner of the business on my call this morning.
Going to call Alside and see if I can get thru #1. and #2 I'm betting they refer me to the contractor whom I can't get a reply from. So I can try the distributor, but he's in on this and has been out twice with the others and actually was the one who suggested getting an engineer out. But now that has changed, as mentioned before. It's pretty clear they are hoping I will go away and jerking me around. Going to make calls and see what happens. Another one to the contractor too.

dummy

#64 Post by dummy »

Update....Called Alside and they sent me to their local distributor in DesMoines whom I've talked with before. The dist./sales rep. is on vacation this week but the gal who answers the phone said he gave her paperwork and she checked and my situation has been mailed on to higher authority and is waiting for a reply. I do believe her, since she has been the one to contact the contractor for me a couple of times.
Why couldn't they have called me and told me this? Oh well, at least maybe something is in the works. Should be happy I guess, but just afraid, for some reason, I'm going to wind up with the same shoddy situation.

buddy110

#65 Post by buddy110 »

EcoStar Windows wrote:So now, because the installer had surgury on his little finger the entire business grinds to a halt?

I've said this before and I will say it again, this company is jerking you around and trying to wear you down.
Unfortunately I believe you're right.

dummy

#66 Post by dummy »

I totally respect you pros opinion and thank you for it. I never got a return call from the contractor and believe they think I might go away. Funny on the timing of the little finger surgery on the installer. He was out a few days before that putting in pads and trying to correct things. He didn't show any effects then of problems. Will see what the dist. says next week when he gets back. If nothing has happened by then, it's BBB and Attorney Gen. time. I'm not going to live with this like it is. I'm not going away and plan on doing everything I can to solve this fiasco.

Thanks again for your replies, I do respect your knowledge and appreciate your help very much.

dummy

#67 Post by dummy »

Well, it's now, of course, summer. Some tremendous heat here in Iowa. Nothing got done with the windows. I called Alside and they referred me to a guy who should run for politics. He dodged every question I asked. They have no intention of sending an engineer, nor taking any other action. Since then, when I took the plastic off the windows, I saw the glass cracked in one top sash. The contractor replaced it no problem. Now I've seen water underneath a bottom sash after a rain...several hrs. after a rain. The contractor is going to replace that sash as well and check the weep holes, which are working fine since I've thrown water on the window and water gushes out. The contractor was, pardon my language, really pissy this time on the phone.
I checked with my attorney. He told me I could file a complaint with the BBB, etc. but that basically, we're screwed.
I have three other windows to replace and am going to get a bid on Sunrise windows. Any ideas what the cost should be, installed??

Windows on Washington

#68 Post by Windows on Washington »

Your experience is noteworthy and hopefully more people will learn from your story.

Keep us posted and if you want I can see if I can make an inquiry on your behalf.

dummy

#69 Post by dummy »

Hopefully other people will read our experience with Alside and stay away. That was the intent of my post. Chasing them now will be throwing good money after bad, I'm afraid.

I want to thank you for the offer of pursuing a response from the company, but I think it will only make the contractor mad and any further repairs or service I might, and probably will, need will be impossible to get.

I intend to get a few bids on the three remaining windows. One local contractor handles Sunrise. I might get a few other bids. I intend also to show these people the problems we have...and are having...and see if they will comment.

Thanks again

dummy

#70 Post by dummy »

I had the sunrise salesman out. They also sell Marvin Infinity fiberglass. For $30/window more I can have the Marvin. The salesman pushed the Marvin and priced three of them to me for $550 each plus tax and disposal fees, installed. These are double hung, roughly 34x70 opening. This individual knows about Alside and blames a lot of the leakage on their weepholes in the snap on sill. After thinking about it and looking at the design, that makes a lot of sense to me. Plus, living in the country, they are going to get dirt in there which will become mud. That's old news. I can't afford to replace 12 Alsides not even a yr. old.
My questions now are...Is a disposal fee common? Is this a good price for the Marvin? Is the Marvin fiberglass a really good window?

randy

#71 Post by randy »

Disposal fees are not common, as most contractors figure it into their pricing already. That doesn't mean that it's not legitimate in this case, and the price you were quoted for the Marvin Infinity is astoundingly low. So unless the "disposal fee" is more than $100.00 per window, you're getting a very, very good price.

Fiberglass is a great option, particularly for homeowners who intend to stay in their home long-term.

dummy

#72 Post by dummy »

Thanks for your reply. Honestly, I was shocked when he shot me that figure. I hadn't even been considering Marvin. He said the vinyl Sunrise would be about $30 less/window.
To be honest, the subject got changed and I didn't ask him what the disposal fees would be. I can dispose of them myself. He is going to contact us the first of the week, in the meantime, I'm going to try to call him and get some more concrete facts.
I don't want to miss a good buy, but after being burnt badly with the Alsides, I'm very suspicious.

dummy

#73 Post by dummy »

Windows and I must be like oil and water. Not a good mix.
The salesman who had priced us the Marvin Infinities came
back out at the scheduled time, but with bad news. He said
his boss told him he can't sell the Marvins' for that price. The
price now would be $770. He claims he has only worked for the
company for a few weeks, but in that time claims to have talked
his boss into selling Sunrise vinyl windows.
Anyway, he had no paperwork with him. He didn't even talk about
the Sunrise windows. I haven't a clue what is going on. Perhaps I
am on the blacklist of customers due to my complaining about the
Alsides. I did tell the owner of this business of my experience with
the Alsides.
Right now I have three windows I would like replaced. I have no clue
which way to turn. Totally sick of this process and all that is involved.

randy

#74 Post by randy »

I understand your frustration, and would recommend that you take a month or so off and think of anything but windows. Maybe revisit the project early in the fall.

Then, check and see if there is another Sunrise dealer in your area. In addition, try locating a Soft-lite, Gorell, or Okna dealer as well. With some patience, I'm sure you'll find an upright contractor who will deal honestly with you, on a quality product.

dummy

#75 Post by dummy »

Thanks, good advice.