What brand of windows should I definitely AVOID?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Roybrown

Re: What brand of windows should I definitely AVOID?

#46 Post by Roybrown »

Does anyone happen to know the difference between the Gorell 5100, 5105, and 5155? I looked at their website and couldn't find the info, just 5100 in general. I think I am going to try and purchase Gorell. They seem to be the right combo of price and quality.

ranger

#47 Post by ranger »

The difference is the sill design. One is. Pocket sill which is a bad design. The 5155 is a true sloped sill and that's what you want.

HomeSealed

#48 Post by HomeSealed »

ranger wrote:one thing i am skeptical about with regards to Alside is how tight their manufacturing tolerances are. Alside is a mass producer as are many of the lower end vinyl window companies and manufacturing tolerances can be an issue. just something to keep in mind after considering the aforementioned recommendations.
Out of curiosity, how many Alside Sheffields have you installed to make such a statement? Just wondering.

HomeSealed

#49 Post by HomeSealed »

Dummy,
I installed Alside windows almost exclusively for nearly two years. They have bad reputation among experts, which is deserved in large part, as I learned in my experience. The Excalibur is a poor window imo, their quality control is not stellar, and a lot of hacks install Alside windows because they are readily available and a little bit cheaper than some of the better products. I am not a fan of of any of their products, which is very evident by any of my previous posts about them. That being said, the Sheffield is pretty mediocre and will perform acceptably when installed correctly. I NEVER experienced the conditions that you've described, certainly not to the degree that you've described, when they were installed properly. I can't say for sure whether or not the problem is product or install, but my opinion is based on substantial first hand experience rather than just their poor reputation. Take it for what its worth.

GermanWindowGuy

#50 Post by GermanWindowGuy »

While we are on the subject of poor quality windows, heres one company to avoid, absolute junk in every aspect.

eurocraft-industries.com

Skydawggy

#51 Post by Skydawggy »

HomeSealed wrote:
ranger wrote:one thing i am skeptical about with regards to Alside is how tight their manufacturing tolerances are. Alside is a mass producer as are many of the lower end vinyl window companies and manufacturing tolerances can be an issue. just something to keep in mind after considering the aforementioned recommendations.
Out of curiosity, how many Alside Sheffields have you installed to make such a statement? Just wondering.
Enough to make such a statement. None in the last 10 years due to past experience with Alside in general. I just don't like their windows. Any of them.

HomeSealed

#52 Post by HomeSealed »

EcoStar Windows wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:
Enough to make such a statement. None in the last 10 years due to past experience with Alside in general. I just don't like their windows. Any of them.
Am I missing something? I don't believe that question was directed toward you unless you post under an alias of "ranger"... Eco, I have a solid repect for your views based on what I've read of your posts, thats why even though I may disagree with you on this particular issue, I didn't try to "call you out", as I assume that your views are based in substance. I cannot say the same for ranger.... I've given detailed reasons for my views on this thread. As I told dummy, take that for what its worth.

Skydawggy

#53 Post by Skydawggy »

No worries, I shouldn't post late at night. :oops:

I don't like windows with snap in sill plates. It's only done so a manufacturer can reduce their cost.

dummy

#54 Post by dummy »

For sale....CHEAP 12 pieces of crap called Alside Sheffield, double hungs, used very little, might deliver.
Thanks for the reply HomeSealed. I'm just going to keep plugging away with the contractor. We have a light wind today on two windows I have plastic over. The plastic is blown out tight as a balloon. The opposite side of the house is sucked out.
I know now I have an inferior product probably along with an inferior install. I hope my experience can help someone else make a decision. I had a message on my cell phone last night that the installer had hand surgery and will be down a couple weeks. It's supposed to be really cold here(Iowa) next week anyway. We're hoping for the best, but to be truthful not expecting much. Going to call the State Board of Licensing tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks to all for your replies.

windowxpertsplus

#55 Post by windowxpertsplus »

Dummy- i have installed many windows in my time, all different brands, quite a few Alside Sheffields, i do not think they are the greatest windows,(nor do i think even close to garbage) but i have never experienced what you are. i really do not think its the window, i think its the installation, maybe the window was grossly under-measured. i would love to see some pics if you have them

dummy

#56 Post by dummy »

I will do my best to get some pictures. I do know one window was mismeasured, by about an inch height wise. The frame isn't out of square that badly by a long shot either. But was assured by the installer that wouldn't be a problem. I didn't notice any others grossly mismeasured. I do know he didn't use any top caps or extenders on any windows. They got threw in the junk pile as soon as the window was unwrapped.
Will have to wait for my wife to get home to take pictures. Get them developed and see how to get them posted. Would love for you to see the plastic bulging. And send pics of the two new space heaters we have boughten since these windows went in. One other thing I haven't mentioned is that 5 of these replaced Crestline windows I had put in myself 10-12 yrs. ago. These leak much worse than the Crestlines. I didn't fill any weight pockets when I did it either. Just followed directions and according to the installer used a ton more caulk than I needed. But then I caulked the outside stop and set the window against it as per the instructions. This installer cut that stop off. I also wrapped the entire window frame with fiberglass using tape to hold it in. And leveled and shimmed where needed. Then stuck more fiberglass in the side voids. Thanks for your reply.

HomeSealed

#57 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like you would have been better off installing these yourself :lol: .... Seriously, while not a great product (as has already been established), the Sheffield is a better window than any Crestline. I'm sure that you could see that when you made your initial purchase. The fact that the Crestlines performed better pretty much solidifies my stance that this is likely a terrible install, imo. The only way that product would perform that poorly is if there were an obvious manufacturing defect such as missing weatherstripping, or badly bowed sash(es)... I saw your comment on the thread about the Softlite problems, so you saw first hand in those pics how profoundly installation can effect the performance of even a great product.

dummy

#58 Post by dummy »

HomeSealed thanks for the reply. Yeah I sure did see the guys frost and condensation problems. I don't have anything like that. I feel for him in the most profound way! But this morning the normal condensation at the bottom of the top sash is frozen hard. It's -8 but still tells me there's a lot not going on, like insulating. I never, ever had condensation freeze on the Crestlines. And that was after 10+ yrs. old and the weatherstripping was mashed all together. I wish I could have done a DIY with these windows but two reasons stopped me. I had back surgery a couple yrs ago and it's still bad and the contractor told me the warranty wouldn't be good if they didn't install them. Which I think is a bunch of crap, but that's what he said. When I first saw these windows I was impressed by their solidness...compared to the excalibur.
I'm honestly thinking I've got a lemon. Both window and install. But it's so cold now I'm not wanting anything torn out just to look at and tell me it's ok. As you can tell, I'm not very optimistic about the outcome here. I have some foam board I'm going to cut and fit in the windows without plastic on them. The plastic is really, really cold. I don't know how much it is really helping except for drafts. It's been stretched so much I'm guessing that's about all it's doing. But I want to keep it on to make my point about the air leakage. I'm wondering if the ones who don't believe my situation have ever put plastic over their replacement windows. If for nothing else to see if the air infiltration is a bigger problem than they may realize. I haven't contacted any licensing board or anyone just yet. I'm assuming the insurance you guys carry is for possible theft by employees and more likely damage to the interior walls, etc. Not the product itself. If nothing can be resolved, my wife and I are going to try an interior storm window and see if they signifcantly help and if it doesn't live in a dungeon in the winter. The problem with that theory is, these windows are going to affect my cooling this summer. And probably let all kinds of dust and dirt in. Hopefully not water. If they leak water, I am going to court. We live in the country and expect some dust and dirt above and beyond those in the city. But I have a feeling these are going to be a real problem, if they aren't somehow tightened up. The situation just keeps expanding and not in a good way. Thanks for you reply and sorry I got wordy.

HomeSealed

#59 Post by HomeSealed »

Whether it is an install issue, product issue, or both, you need to be vigililant in getting this resolved. Don't wait for warmer weather, and don't settle for having to add storm windows (which may incidentally void the warranty and cause other issues). Stay on this company and demand resolution. The BBB and other trade organizations offer means of complaint and arbitration before having to resort to legal action.

dummy

#60 Post by dummy »

Thank you both for your replies. I have a friend who had Sheffields installed last yr. and said they liked them. Now he is doing more checking on his and says he has a lot more leakage than he realized. I liked the window, it was at our state fair where several companies had displays, that along with my friends statement, plus a clean BBB rating, was my reference.
After further looking, I looked behind the towels we have on the lower sash and stool(to keep the cold out) and there is frozen condensation on both sashes. Not just slush, frozen hard.
I heard from the contractor/salesman a week ago yesterday(Monday). He said the installer had had surgery on his little finger and a wrap up almost the whole of his forearm. So it would be a couple of weeks he thought. After seeing the frozen condensation, I called the contractor. Of course, I had to leave a message. I've never been able to get ahold of him without playing phone tag. That was about 2 hrs. ago and haven't heard anything. I told him about the frozen condensation and told him we needed to get something solved on these windows. I about know what he's going to say...if he get's back to me. He will say that will happen when it's this cold. Just like he said about the whistling and a 60mph wind. "That's gonna happen". I went into town for coffee and no one else had frozen condensation on their windows. One hadn't looked but no one else out of 7 had frozen windows....who have replacements or fairly new windows.
Thanks for the heads up on the storm windows. I hadn't considered that possibly messing with the warranty. Question: If they tear them out now won't they need recaulked when it warms up? The last thing I want is water leakage. That will put me over the edge...not that I'm not about there as it is.
One other thing I need to clear up. I mentioned that when the wind is right you can feel air on the side near the sash on a couple of windows. What and where it is, is the area above the bottom sash in front of the top sash on the sides. The side frame. If the wind is just right, air comes in there. Two windows have fiberglass stuffed inside the vinyl slide there and fiberglass all the way up the sides above the bottom sash. At this point I'm thinking I need a new set of windows and a new installer. If I can get a new set of windows. I will get some backer rod and foam them best as I can myself. Everything has been civil so far. But here it is Feb. 8 and they were notified about this well before Xmas.