drafty imperal LS windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jeffw

drafty imperal LS windows

#1 Post by jeffw »

I had Soft Lite Imperial LS windows installed in my home during late summer this past year. I really haven't noticed much of difference in my power bill and really started to check out the windows. I started to notice there was some draft behind the blinds on all the windows. I can especially notice this on windy days. The only thing I can notice is where the lower and upper sash meets, there is a little hole that I can see light through and feel air. The hole is only on the right side where the sash meets the frame and I notice it on all the windows. Does anyone recognize this scenario? I am including a picture.
imperial_ls_2.jpg
(16.21 KiB) Downloaded 282 times

Delaware Mike

Re: drafty imperal LS windows

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Know this fellow all too well (gap). Weatherstripping on the bottom sash was cut too long and then over-compressed during shipping and the time since it's been installed. First fix would be to trim the weatherstripping that is flattened out against the back of the sash to it's proper length which would allow it to every so slightly extend past the interlock to close up that hole. Since the weatherstripping has been compressed in an improper position for so long you run the chance of it not wanting to spring back, thus in that case SL will simply change out the weatherstripping for you or make new sashes.

I caught this last year and have successfully fixed all of the LS's that have had your exact very same problem. Pete L. at the plant now has the line trimming the weatherstripping to the correct length and they seem to be fine now as they don't show that tiny gap anymore. I have a picture in an email from Soft-Lite that shows the correct length and how it appears. I'll try to post it, but I've never had much luck with figuring out how to get pictures from my computer onto this site.

ranger

#3 Post by ranger »

Call the installer but I bet its the window. Those gaps in the corners of the meeting rails are quite common due to the welds. Ask about fuzz plugs. Makes you wonder how these companies achieve these low AL rates..

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I agree with Ranger, get the service guys out there to do this, it shouldn't be your responsibility. They need to see this. After reviewing the photos from Soft-Lite the correct length is actually longer than the interlock but not so long that they ride around the jambs.

Us window installers run into all kinds of fun stuff like this all of the time. 99% of these issues are a very simple field fix and then we just move on. This kind of stuff is never printed in the instructions.

jeffw

#5 Post by jeffw »

wow, thanks so much guys!! I sent that pic to the installer several weeks ago but haven't heard anything. I'll call him back.

I really like how these windows looked after install but have not been impressed with the draft. I had a Therma-Tru french door installed and it's drafty too. I think that is figured out and I'm now waiting to receive a part that was missing. Again, Thanks!