How to handle 4 adjoining double hungs

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bevocbs

How to handle 4 adjoining double hungs

#1 Post by bevocbs »

I currently have 4 wood, double hung windows that are all adjoining. Each one is approximately 36 inches wide (53 high). All of the wood frames have some rotting and will have to be removed (so there will be one huge opening approximately 153 inches wide). I had just been planning on going back with DH, but are there better options. For the pros out there, how would you recommend filling? If I go back with DH windows, can four be safely fused together, or what is the best installation method?

Thanks in advance.

Skydawggy

Re: How to handle 4 adjoining double hungs

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Have you thought about configuring the opening with 2 DH's on the ends and a large picture window on the middle? I think that would give you a really nice view. I've never ordered 4 double hungs that large with a factory mull. I'd probably order them as twin double hungs and then field mull the 2 sets. So to answer your question, yes it can be done.

shamu

#3 Post by shamu »

Great opportunity to change the overall appearnce of your home. A bay or bow window could be installed. Changing over to a casement configuration is possible or as has already been suggested a DH/PW/DH would also work. Alot depends on your budget. A 3-lite slider is also a possibility.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would not use a 3-Lite Slider in that opening as they are more prone to air leakage than the Double Hung or Double Hung and Picture combination.

Bay/Bow window is an option as EcoStar mentioned too.

Regardless of which route you go, make sure you get a good firm who knows what they are doing. There is much more potential for foul up on the larger openings.

fenestrationman

#5 Post by fenestrationman »

I like the flanker hungs and the larger fixed lite idea.
I don't know if a Manufacturer will produce a slider of that size. Also, most Manufacturers limit there 5/4 plywood to 144" in length.

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

fenestrationman wrote:I like the flanker hungs and the larger fixed lite idea.
I don't know if a Manufacturer will produce a slider of that size. Also, most Manufacturers limit there 5/4 plywood to 144" in length.
I don't know of a manufacturer that will make a bay window that large.

fenestrationman

#7 Post by fenestrationman »

Gorell will make a bow to about 144" in width. I think they limit the bay to about 128" in width. Not positive.

Skydawggy

#8 Post by Skydawggy »

Simonton and Sunrise will go 144" on a Bay/Bow. I think that's as large as Softlite will go also iirc.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Plygem goes 146" on a bow, otherwise it seems like most others go 144".

fenestrationman

#10 Post by fenestrationman »

Plygem probably runs their jamb boards the height of the finished bay/bow, which will give you the other 2" in width. Most bay/bows that I have seen, the jamb boards run between the head and seat board.
Not sure if there is a drawback to doing it either way.

bevocbs

#11 Post by bevocbs »

I think I have decided to gowith 2 flanking windows and a large picture window in the middle. Now the question is, do i go with DHs flanking, or casemnets. Everything else in the house will by DH,but I've had one installer say that the casements would look better because you wouldn't have the divided sash and they would all look better together. Thoughts? DH or casements on the end?

Skydawggy

#12 Post by Skydawggy »

I think it depends on what window you ultimately go with. Some manufacturers casements use really wide extrusions and you may not be too happy with the look. A word of advice would be to ask to see an actual sample of the casement before buying.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Looks will be personal preference. Casements will seal better, but also add cost.... It really just depends on your circumstances and your priorities.

buddy110

#14 Post by buddy110 »

Pretty sure Marvin Infinity would make a 3 lite slider that big. I just installed one 135" wide. That said, I'd rather have a casement/picture/casement

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

If all of the other windows are double hungs and are going to remain so I would make the flankers double hungs.The casement flankers would look wrong to me and i prefer double hungs anyways.You may want to put a mulls between the windows as well.It breaks up the the wall of vinyl(assuming vinyl since you are posting on a vinyl window forum) provides a place to mount individual blinds or shades ,would add some strength to the window unit and would make it easier to install if you are doing the work.