Simonton vs. PGT and other window advice sought

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
stpete

Simonton vs. PGT and other window advice sought

#1 Post by stpete »

I'm replacing three windows. Actually in window speak, it is four windows. I'll eventually replace all the windows in my home. I have one very large window that will take two windows to replace it. I'm planning to get double-hungs to allow for more of a breeze when I have the windows open. So it will be two 52W X 62H and two 52W X 50H windows. I want to get impact-resistant windows and I want to increase my energy efficiency.

I live in St. Petersburg, FL and I have a concrete block home built in the 1960s. I am replacing the original windows.

I've had the Simonton StormBreaker Plus 300VL pitched to me and both the PGT Winguard and PGT PremierVue pitched to me. I think I am leaning towards a PGT window. Should I consider a Simonton window or a different brand?

Is there that much more advantage to spending the extra money for the PremierVue? I've had a couple of the companies tell me that I would be good with the Winguard and I don't need the PremierVue. On the PGT Web site, one of these companies is on the list of businesses that can sell PremierVue in my area and one of them is not.

I've got another guy telling me that new codes have been approved in the state of Florida but not yet implemented. The PremierVue will meet the new codes. I know he is trying to sell me something that will make more money for him. However, since I'm planning to eventually replace all the windows on my home, maybe I should consider them so everything matches. On the other hand I should probably worry about that when the codes are actually in place.

One guy gave me an estimate that he could install the PremierVue for about $421 more than the Winguard but another quote has a difference of about $1900 between the two.

As much as I was leaning towards a vinyl window, after looking at Miami building codes, I'm wondering if I should consider aluminum? Some of these vinyl windows seem to get pretty good reviews.

I'm on a budget and it sounds like the Winguard vinyl window would be a good window but if I win the lottery then go for the PremierVue? :-)

I'm considering going with the solarban low e 70 instead of 60. I'm checking on the R value, U value and SHGC of both the Simonton, PGT Winguard, and PremierVue.

Are there other things I need to consider or questions I should ask in regards to the windows?

I appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton vs. PGT and other window advice sought

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I will defer to a poster by the name of TLH who serves the state of Florida. He knows these products very well.