MI Xact vs Viwinco Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rwong07070

MI Xact vs Viwinco Windows

#1 Post by rwong07070 »

I'm trying to decide between the two companies.

MI Xact 1450/1650 or Viwinco Edgemont/Cambridge

Which company has the best track record?
Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

ranger

Re: MI Xact vs Viwinco Windows

#2 Post by ranger »

both of those windows are considered low quality by those that are in the industry.. unless you are looking to flip a house or if its a rental property,you would be wise to invest in a quality window that will not only be more energy efficient but will last for many years. quality comes with a price but will save you alot of money and headaches in the long run. besides Xact and Viwinco,stay away from silverline/american craftsman,cutting edge,and anything vinyl by pella.
there are alot of junk vinyl window companies (too many). there are a few that make great products that are much more energy efficient than most if not all wood windows.
high quality windows that are recommended would be Okna ,gorell, Polaris (Ultra Series)sunrise,and soft lite.
Last edited by ranger on Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

rwong07070

#3 Post by rwong07070 »

Thanks 'ranger'...I'm taking your advise and looking into the Okan and others.

The U Factor

#4 Post by The U Factor »

Both windows are fine. They sell through supply houses instead of direct, that's all.

ranger

#5 Post by ranger »

any pro worth his salt would NEVER recommend viwinco or Xact. 2 low quality windows that are mainly used for rental properties. shady contractors buy them cheaply and sell them to uninformed home owners.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I dont know much about viwinco. The MI offers some nice features and options, but has a pretty flimsy extrusion, and as much as I am not an AI nazi, its rating is one of the worst that you'll find at .29. They are a company known primarily for builder grade new construction windows.

mason

#7 Post by mason »

They are not Builders Grade windows. Viwinco used to make CertainTeed windows and now make their own window line. They are high quality and visually pleasing. I have viewed them in many homes and not one of them was a rental property. I do not have them in my home but after the research I have done will use them when I decide to replace mine. MI makes the old CertainTeed window I will not comment because I do not have much knowledge of the changes they have made.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

When I hear or see the term "Builder's Grade" in my area I think of s distinct manufacturers, Patriot and Capital/MI. Both have sub 3" thick frames and are by leaps and bounds the very worst and cheapest things a builder can get their hands on. Nothing is designed to last on these windows. Every homeowner that I've run into hates these windows.

I wouldn't say that the upper offerings from ViWinco or the 1650 MI are nearly in this league. Both are around mid-level with suspect AI long term performance. The Viwinco top vinyl product seems okay and is certainly nicer than anything from Siverline or Pella Thermastar. The MI 1650 reminds me of a cheap flee market knock off of Sunrise product, but in the $300 to $400 installed range if could have it's place in the market.

ranger

#9 Post by ranger »

They most certainly are builders grade. MI WIndows ( Xact, cutting edge) are low quality, even their 1650 series same with VIWinco. I know because I installed both. I installed both those brands in new town homes where the builders would buy lower quality windows at a cheap price. Both those windows use a lower grade vinyl and have high air leakage rates.
I am a bit shocked that someone is saying they are quality, they are not. By the way, Certainteed never made a high quality window so why bring that up ?
High quality windows are Okna, gorell, sunrise, Polaris ultra series, and soft lite.

EcoStar Remodeling

#10 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

ranger wrote:They most certainly are builders grade. MI WIndows ( Xact, cutting edge) are low quality, even their 1650 series same with VIWinco. I know because I installed both. I installed both those brands in new town homes where the builders would buy lower quality windows at a cheap price. Both those windows use a lower grade vinyl and have high air leakage rates.
I am a bit shocked that someone is saying they are quality, they are not. By the way, Certainteed never made a high quality window so why bring that up ?
High quality windows are Okna, gorell, sunrise, Polaris ultra series, and soft lite.
+1

I really can't understand how anyone with any in depth knowledge of windows could evaluate the Xact or ViWinco and conclude they are high quality unless your only standard is that nobody complains, so they must be OK. They are what they are. Low end builder supply house windows and nothing more.