HELP ... please

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
steidle1

HELP ... please

#1 Post by steidle1 »

I just purchased my first home and want to replace the windows ... the house is 63 years old and still has the original drafty windows.

Unfortunately I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to home repair and feel a little overwhelmed.

I read about some type of double paned window that will help cut down on outside noise which, if it works, would be great since my house is located very close to the train tracks.

Any advice on where to start what type of windows to avoid, expected cost, etc. would be great!

eberry

#2 Post by eberry »

Depending on the severity of your climate, reasonable vinyl windows (WindowWorld, etc.) might start at $350 installed, and good windows might start around $450-600 per window (Simonton, Gorell, Schuco, etc.). Very high end windows can hit nearly $1000, especially for more exotic wood windows, etc. If you care about efficiency, you can still get great windows for $500 if you look around, get some quotes, and be patient with the sales tactics. Search past posts here for brand recommendations. Never buy windows due to sales pressure and never buy without getting at least 3 quotes, IMO. Don't forget to consider aesthetics with old houses. Sometimes white vinyl can really detract from the look of older homes. Good luck!

steidle1

#3 Post by steidle1 »

I appreciate the response eberry ... I guess I'll get started on obtaining some quotes ...

What other type of window should I consider to maintain the integrity of an old home?

Also, about that "gas filled" windows ... do they really help with reducing outside noise?

Thanks ...

eberry

#4 Post by eberry »

Before spending hard-earned your money on windows, you owe it to yourself to at least consider wood (more maintenance, but looks nicer to some) or fiberglass (some say they are stronger than vinyl) windows. They are not for everyone, but both can be found in designs such that you have more glass area in the window than the average vinyl, and they may look nicer for that reason. I'd recommend you stroll around your block or look at houses of friends to see what looks nicest to you, and take that into consideration. Don't consider anything made of aluminum or other metals, since they won't insulate very well.

The Argon filled windows will help reduce noise, and so will 3-panes, if you want to go that far, as well.

HipKat

#5 Post by HipKat »

Wood and vinyl have practicaly the same insulative qualities. The difference, a 100% vinyl window won't expand and contract in the heat and cold, won't absorb water, won't deteriorate, won't rot, won't get moldy, etc. Wood will.

eberry

#6 Post by eberry »

I mentioned wood is more maintenance, and I personally would only recommend wood if you strongly prefer the look and feel of wood. To many who have enough to spend, looks are or more important than efficiency and durability. For myself, I don't like the look of vinyl or fiberglass as much, but I'm putting vinyl in my home because I'm on a budget and can live well enough with the look of vinyl. I did spend some time looking at fiberglass and wood windows, though, because I felt it was proper to see what is out there before I buy.

researcher

#7 Post by researcher »

[quote="HipKat"]Wood and vinyl have practicaly the same insulative qualities. The difference, a 100% vinyl window won't expand and contract in the heat and cold, won't absorb water, won't deteriorate, won't rot, won't get moldy, etc. Wood will.[/quote]

100% vinyl window won't expand and contract in the heat and cold.
Is that a fact?

HipKat

#8 Post by HipKat »

No. I embellished that a bit. It should have said at the same rate as wood. It's minimal.

thd50

Re: HELP ... please

#9 Post by thd50 »

steidle1 wrote:I just purchased my first home and want to replace the windows ... the house is 63 years old and still has the original drafty windows.

Unfortunately I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to home repair and feel a little overwhelmed.

I read about some type of double paned window that will help cut down on outside noise which, if it works, would be great since my house is located very close to the train tracks.

Any advice on where to start what type of windows to avoid, expected cost, etc. would be great!
New wood windows is fast-growth wood - look at the grain and you will see - problem is that it will require more maintenance than the old wood (grains closer together) as fast growth is far more porous than the slow growth wood.

The other thing you would encounter is when it is humid out that wood has a tendency to expand and you will loose the ease of operation.

You can still get the look of real wood in vinyl - if ONLY it is 100% pure vinyl nad has no recycled fillers or extenders - otherwise it will look like a corox bottle in a few short months after install - the easy way to tell if recycled is if the wite is a STARK white not a creamy white color.

Look for AAMA Ratings

Look for NFRC ratings

Look at the product warranty - it is an amortization of the life of the product.

"test-drive" the window product - open up a double hung window and slide the sash right to left and see how much play is in it..

4-pt fusion weld on vinyl - do not get mechanically fasted together sahses or you are asking for trouble

Look for NON-PRORATED SEAL FAILURE Warranty on vinly windows

ALSO WHO is offering the warranty - will they be in business in 6 months - 6 years or even 6 hours from now?

If you are planning on having someone do the project for you - check insurance - unless you like shaing your home with a new owner from a lawsuit.

Good luck on the project.

Ck