How do you deliver your quotes?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sharona

How do you deliver your quotes?

#1 Post by sharona »

OK - I've gotten 5 quotes and it's amazing how varied the level of detail has been.

One quote was on official stationary and broke down the project into 2 pieces (at my request). It listed the 2 overall prices and the specifics of the window model. This was delivered on the spot after the unofficial measuring and sales pitch.

One quote was delivered via email and was a single price for the whole project (despite my request to break it out by front of house and back). This was about 10 days after the salesman was here.

One quote was written on a plain piece of white paper (at the time of the visit) and left with a folder that outlined the window specs and warranties.

One quote was delivered over the phone about 2 hours after the salesman visited. He explained that he had to check some pricing due to our over sized window openings.

One quote was snail mailed!!! to me about one week after the contractor was here. He was very detailed and took the official measurements. It's basically the contract and has full detail on all the windows to be installed and a breakout of the installed cost of each window.

I've got to say, the writing a number on a plain piece of paper completely turned me off from using that company. Is that standard practice? I'm sure if I decided to go with them they would have an actual contract... Just curious what the usual practice is from the professionals on this site.

HomeSealed

Re: How do you deliver your quotes?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

This is just my opinion, but I believe that the level of professionalism that a company shows in every aspect of your dealings with them is reflective of the type of quality and service that you can expect. A professional proposal listing the details of your project delivered either at the appointment or within 2-3 days (depending on how complex the project is) would not be unreasonable. Personally, we deliver ours within 24hrs unless it is something a little bit more complicated where we actually need to get pricing from our manufacturers. This is common for wood windows and entry doors.
Chicken scratch on a blank piece of paper would definitely be a red flag to me, unless he just left that to give you preliminary price, and followed up with a proper proposal.

sharona

Re: How do you deliver your quotes?

#3 Post by sharona »

No, the only follow up I received from the chicken scratch company was a call to tell me they were offering an additional 10% off due to some manufacturer's special ;)