Soft-Lite Imperial LS vs Okna 500 vs Okna 800

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dvs1

Soft-Lite Imperial LS vs Okna 500 vs Okna 800

#1 Post by dvs1 »

I'm looking to install double hung double-pane windows with super spacer (soft-lite) /heatseal spacer (okna). The price difference between Soft-Lite Imperial LS vs Okna 500 is about $500 for 13 windows. Is the difference in price worth it? What are the pros and cons of each manufacturer.

Another question is $500 extra over the Okna 500 double pane price worth it for Okna 500 triple pane. That would be $1000 over the price of the Imperial LS double pane

Or should I do more of a lateral price move and get the Okna 800 double pane instead of the Okna 500 triple pane?
Last edited by dvs1 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Soft-Lite Imperial LS vs Okna 500

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think a better comparision would be LS to 800.
I think you will be happyy with any of those 3- LS, 500, 800.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

You will be happy with either.

The 500 has the same DP (50), Air Infiltration (0.02), slightly better thermal (0.25 vs. 0.27), and a slightly narrower profile and higher VT (0.55 vs. 0.51) than the Imperial LS.

The 800 series is more comparable (in my opinion) to the Soft-Lite Elements between its DP, Air, and thermal numbers.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

Just to clarify, the Imperial LS double hung is a DP60 (44x60).

dvs1

#5 Post by dvs1 »

My wife is ok with either one so the reason why I ask if the ~$500 total difference (13 windows) is worth the extra cost to get the Okna 500 series window over the Imperial LS. She does like the slightly slimmer profile of the Okna 500 but should not be a deciding factor as she is ok with both.

Another question is $500 extra over the Okna 500 double pane price worth it for Okna 500 triple pane. That would be $1000 over the price of the Imperial LS double pane

Or should I do more of a lateral price move and get the Okna 800 double pane instead of the Okna 500 triple pane?

Help!

monyet

#6 Post by monyet »

I have the Okna 500 window, it's been performing well through the winter. Don't know where you are but if I could have been able to afford triple pane, I would have gone with it just for the higher condensation resistance during the winters. You must know by now that the Superspacer is a good spacer and comparable to the Heatseal, hence your difficult decision that only you can make. Having said that, if $500 is the difference, I heard that the Okna Precision Weld may be more cost competitive ( I don't know for sure, may be worth finding out ), so just a suggestion to say, find out if the Okna Precision weld is a little cheaper and get the triple pane, it might be a good middle ground??

dvs1

#7 Post by dvs1 »

dvs1 wrote:My wife is ok with either one so the reason why I ask if the ~$500 total difference (13 windows) is worth the extra cost to get the Okna 500 series window over the Imperial LS. She does like the slightly slimmer profile of the Okna 500 but should not be a deciding factor as she is ok with both.

Help!
any more opinions on my original question and the additional questions above. I was hoping to decide this weekend based on the information I can obtain here.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would do the 800 double pane.

dvs1

#9 Post by dvs1 »

anthony wrote:I would do the 800 double pane.

and the reason? Its 1k more than the imperial LS and not sure what the benefits are

dvs1

Re: Soft-Lite Imperial LS vs Okna 500 vs Okna 800

#10 Post by dvs1 »

So my wife says go with the less expensive one, but i'm still not convinced on which direction. If the cost differences are worth it, than i'll have to find the funds for it. Both are reputable installers so I can't use that as my final determining factor

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

You are comparing BMW and Mercedes here, you aren't going to go wrong either way. My best advice in this situation would be to do whatever it takes to make your wife happy. :mrgreen:

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

In terms of performance, the LS and Okna 800 are virtually identical with the 800 having an only imperceptibly lower Air Infiltration rate. Certainly not enough to influence a decision one way or the other.

If the looks play a role, the LS and 800 do look different and they or may not be worth the delta in price to you or, more importantly, your wife.

As a man who has found out the hard way, I would suggest you defer to her preferences on aesthetics as long as you are comparing two good windows...which you are.

dvs1

#13 Post by dvs1 »

HomeSealed wrote:You are comparing BMW and Mercedes here, you aren't going to go wrong either way. My best advice in this situation would be to do whatever it takes to make your wife happy. :mrgreen:

Wife says less expensive as she doesn't know/care for the difference between a good window and cheap window. She just wants a white window with grids :D

I like to look at it as the best for my money / bang for the buck while still choosing premium windows

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

In that case, the LS double-pane will be the best bang for your buck.

dvs1

#15 Post by dvs1 »

Windows on Washington wrote:In terms of performance, the LS and Okna 800 are virtually identical with the 800 having an only imperceptibly lower Air Infiltration rate. Certainly not enough to influence a decision one way or the other.

If the looks play a role, the LS and 800 do look different and they or may not be worth the delta in price to you or, more importantly, your wife.

As a man who has found out the hard way, I would suggest you defer to her preferences on aesthetics as long as you are comparing two good windows...which you are.
If its mainly aesthetics and the performances are similar, i guess i might lean toward the Imperial LS to save $500. I just didn't know if there was something the Okna 500 had that the Imperial LS did not that was worth $500 for 13 windows.

Now my 2nd part question is it worth the upgrade cost for triple pane. Okna 500 triple pane is $500 more than Okna 500 double pane which would make it $1000 more than the Imperial LS double pane

anthony says he would do the Okna 800 double pane which would be $500 more than the Okna 500 double pane and $1000 more than the Imperial LS, but didn't explain why. I would think to do the Okna 500 triple pane for the same expense than going to the Okna 800 double pane.