Should I wrap the window trim or not???

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Chip

#1 Post by Chip »

buddy110

Re: Should I wrap the window trim or not???

#2 Post by buddy110 »

That depends

Chip

#3 Post by Chip »

buddy110 wrote:That depends

My wood trim is not rotted and is in good shape. I've heard good and bad about wrapping the trim. What is the opinion of the board?

buddy110

#4 Post by buddy110 »

Chip wrote:

My wood trim is not rotted and is in good shape. I've heard good and bad about wrapping the trim. What is the opinion of the board?
I can't speak for the entire board but I've never had any issues with wrapping them As long as they are properly sealed from the elements they should last 20 years without any negative affects

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

buddy110 wrote:
Chip wrote:

I can't speak for the entire board but I've never had any issues with wrapping them As long as they are properly sealed from the elements they should last 20 years without any negative affects

+1

Proper technique and sealants will last a very long time.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+3. Even if you had any rot issues, a good professional company would replace those pieces prior to wrap. The wrap will offer a superior seal, as well as less maintenance.

Chip

#7 Post by Chip »

Is it worth paying 50.00 a window to wrap? I can't decide if I should pay 500.00 for my ten windows.

buddy110

#8 Post by buddy110 »

Again difficult to say. If it's a good professional job yes, that's a pretty darned good price. I suspect you'll pay more that that to maintain the wood over time. If it's a so so job maybe not

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

$50 is pretty cheap, I'd say to cheap.Only wrap jobs I've seen done that cheap are by illegals,friends, uninsured, or crap jobs. A bad wrap can cause a lot of damage and can be hard to spot after they caulk it.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree again, $50 is on the lower end for a trim wrap. If you do have it done, take note of how much time is spent installing the windows in comparison to how much is spent on the trim. The bending and installation of the metal is actually the more labor intensive and tedious task, imo. One thing that you didn't mention is how the windows are being installed. If they are being installed from the inside mouldings removed), then you could really go either way. If it is from the outside so as not to disturb your interior woodwork, then it would be highly advisable to do the wrapping, as the exterior (blind) stops are cut off. Some guys replace them and some do not, but either way it is unsightly if left with no additional finishing. The same could actually be said if you have storm windows existing that will be removed. Typically when they are taken off it will leave a bunch of holes, split wood, etc.

Chip

#11 Post by Chip »

HomeSealed wrote:I agree again, $50 is on the lower end for a trim wrap. If you do have it done, take note of how much time is spent installing the windows in comparison to how much is spent on the trim. The bending and installation of the metal is actually the more labor intensive and tedious task, imo. One thing that you didn't mention is how the windows are being installed. If they are being installed from the inside mouldings removed), then you could really go either way. If it is from the outside so as not to disturb your interior woodwork, then it would be highly advisable to do the wrapping, as the exterior (blind) stops are cut off. Some guys replace them and some do not, but either way it is unsightly if left with no additional finishing. The same could actually be said if you have storm windows existing that will be removed. Typically when they are taken off it will leave a bunch of holes, split wood, etc.
Great info! They are going to replace from the inside. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question with such detail.

windowmike

#12 Post by windowmike »

IMO
Coordinate wrap/capping with install so sill wrap runs underneath new window
Caulking will be on top of wrap/capping
Insist on low expansion foam under sill before sill extender goes on and into jamb and head voids
If existing windows have weight pockets get them foam filled too.
Buy installers lunch if impressed by workmanship

rugmankc

#13 Post by rugmankc »

Sorry to resurrect a 4 month old thread, but this poses two questions I have been thinking about

I have 1X4 wood trims around my windows and said I wanted them capped. They are flush with the outside of the window. When wanting to change and not cap, was told no discount--? You mention 50.00 as low to do that.

Also, both companies I talked to so far use actual insulation around window, no foam. Seems this board and some of it's experts are recommending low density foam. Maybe that is only for the lower sash and not sides and top? What is correct?

Ken

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

Low expansion foam is recommended on all 4 sides. I typically see window wraps in the $65 to $85 range.... although, I will say that 95% of professional window installs (at least around here) are wrapped, so a guy could come in with a cheaper wrap price and make it up via a higher window price. If your installers are saying that there is no price difference either way, that seems strange to me.

rugmankc

#15 Post by rugmankc »

Well, it is the Salesperson for the company, not installer. He says they would have to cap or finish it in some way anyhow. I would assume whatever that is would not be as extensive as wrapping 1X4 wood trim around whole window. A neighbor a street up has same house with no capping at all as far as I can tell. The windows sit inside the wood trim with no gap to insert anything. House is T1-11 siding. They may just be caulked--don't know.

I will question the two companies or whoever I go with on the foam vs insulation. They said foam will not keep a tight seal. I trust you guys.

I am having a third company come out that is a remodeling company and has a good rep. Will see what they say. They have the Polaris UltraWeld that seems to be adequate for my needs.

Whatever we go with will probably do what another pro recommended on this site and that is get the better window and do one half now and other have later. Can afford that better and get to see their work. For me that would be fall and spring. Then have them side the following fall/spring. There are no windows on either side of house. Just front and back. So, only one side can be seen at any given time. Not that that may matter unless same window is not available in spring.

Ken