Replacements in SLC

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HalSLC

Replacements in SLC

#1 Post by HalSLC »

Hi Guys,

I have been reading through for a while now and am getting frustrated that every time i bring someone new in to quote they point me towards a product which i read here is a low grade window.

I am looking to replace 13 windows in my home, replacing a mix of 1940's steel frame single pane and 1970's aluminum single pane. In reality any change is likely to be a good one!

Value for money is king here, I need to get something in which will help us keep our house warmer, will function well and will last 5-10 years. I am not looking to buy the prettiest or the best, simply get the most from our modest budget.

Quotes so far have been Alside 8000 from a local install firm (cheapest by a long way), champion (most expensive) and window world (middle ground). I am looking on Angies and BBB for more local installers.

Questions:

What windows offer the best value for money?
Any installers known in the Salt Lake City area?
What should i be looking out for in a high altitude install (4500ft)?

Any help muchly appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacements in SLC

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am not a huge fan of any of the 3 windows that you have seen. The Champion offering is probably the best of that crop.

A window that will only last 5-10 years will look degraded in that time frame and probably reflect poorly on the home if you are going to sell it.

Gorell, Soft-Lite and Sunrise are probably available in your area. I would start looking at those brands and get some comparative analysis.

U-Factor, SHGC, VT, Air infiltration, and Design Pressure are all valuable data points when it comes time to evaluate the window.

I would also like to know how each installer is going to address the steel pan windows at your home. There can be considerable expense with those installation scenarios and that will likely amount to a good portion of the total window expense so if the difference between a very good window and a less than average is only a small percentage, opt for the better product.

There are some threads about people in CO and UT window replacements. I quick search of the board should net you some threads and real world experience stories.