Gorell Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jimmy v

Gorell Windows

#1 Post by jimmy v »

I am looking at the Gorell 5300 with the basic double pane (two glass pane). Is this acceptable for Chicago living. I know it comes with different glass option which I am sure are more money.

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Jimmy

As a fellow Chicagoan my opinion is, NO it is not, especially with energy prices where they are. A basic double-pane window is 1970's technology and will not even meet the minimum recommendation of Energy Star. At the very least I would suggest the addition of Low E and Argon for this climate. This will atleast get you across the Energy Star threshold (barely) giving you better performance and you may qualify for the $200 tax credit. You are going to spend more money one way or another, I'd suggest investing it into your windows instead of your utility companys. Either way you go, make sure to research proper installations. Insulation voids and air infiltration/exfiltration around any new window will greatly reduce it's overall performance.

jimmy v

#3 Post by jimmy v »

Jimmy

I looked on their web-site and every 5300 series window is Low E and I think even has the Argon

?

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

Look again Jimmy.

jimmy v

#5 Post by jimmy v »

http://www.gorell.com/pages/5300sliding.htm

"Every Gorell 5300 Series window incorporating low-emissivity (Low-E) glass meets ENERGY STAR® standards. They've been tested and rated by an independent laboratory to qualify for the ENERGY STAR label. "

http://www.gorell.com/pages/options.htm

Gorell offers five specialized glass systems—over and above standard insulating glass—to meet your needs in areas such as energy efficiency, security, safety, sound reduction and UV protection. Each system consists of double or triple insulating glass, one or more applications of particular low-emissivity coatings and either argon or krypton gas fill.

So I guess that is yes?

Tim

FenEx

#6 Post by FenEx »

Exactly... "Every Gorell 5300 Series window incorporating low-emissivity (Low-E) glass meets ENERGY STAR® standards."

"Every" window "incorporating"... that is not the same as "Every" window does incorporate it. That quote is listed under "options" Jimmy. The first 3 listings on the NFRC for that window is double-pane without Low-E or Argon.

jimmy v

#7 Post by jimmy v »

gotcha..that is part of the specialized glass upgrade?

FenEx

#8 Post by FenEx »

Yes sir. Some dealers might present the Low-E/Argon as their standard package, but unless the consumer is sure of that, they might wind up with double-pane only and since the Low-E and gas fills are invisible to the eye... they would never know without varifying it.

Welcome to the window industry word game Jimmy.

jimmy v

#9 Post by jimmy v »

Thanks you very much. I looked around today at Home Dept & Lowe's, but it appears that a small ma and pop place might be the way to go.

JScott

#10 Post by JScott »

Jimmy,
The 5305 comes with screens and clear insulated glass. For a little less $ you can have the fiberglass Marvin replacement window which also comes with a full screen and LowE/Argon as a standard. The only reason to buy a 5305 is to get the other options Gorell offers like opal wood interior with an almond exterior. You should be looking at the 5100 series, or again, the Infinity from Marvin. Good luck. I believe Ashland Millwork carries the Infinity from Marvin product for Chicagoland. Just after I toured the Gorell plant we were approached by Marvin. We have stopped offering Gorell products altogether. From a vinyl standpoint they are a high end product but none the less, a vinyl product. You can't compare fiberglass to vinyl windows on the same plane and when you look at costs. More for less. We have also ditched Milgard fiberglass for the Marvins. Our customer feedback on the Marvins has been 100% complete customer satisfaction. Thats what I want in a window to offer.

TyJS31

#11 Post by TyJS31 »

Jimmy,

As a disclaimer, I am the VP of Sales for Gorell. I will tell you that more and more homeowners are purchasing our triple glass packages. We offer two different types of triple packages and five different glass packages altogether.

One of the posts you received refers to Marvin. They are a fine company and we have many customers that offer Gorell as their vinyl option and Marvin as their wood. As far as vinyl vs. fiberglass, vinyl is an all welded product, not mechanical, and vinyl is maintenance free, no painting.

If you are looking for the highest energy packages for the lowest maintenance, along with a fuel savings pledge backed by Gorell, you would be completely satisfied with Gorell products.

Thanks for considering our product. And to all, great information on the site.

FenEx

#12 Post by FenEx »

TyJS31

The Gorell fuel savings pledge has been mentioned numerous times before but everyone seems to have a hard time finding it. Can you post the complete pledge here or provide a direct link to it?

HipKat

#13 Post by HipKat »

{{{snicker snicker}}} :roll:

WindDoze

#14 Post by WindDoze »

LMAO :lol:

FenEx

#15 Post by FenEx »

Where are you TY? These consumers want to believe your Energy Savings Pledge. Put it out here!!!!